1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SLRgear's review of the Oly 14-42mm Mk II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Djarum, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    • Like Like x 1
  2. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

When you reset the lens as described in the review, are you resetting ALL your settings in the camera?
    Isabel

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's good news for Olympus. Sounds like a great lens!

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Are you refering to the user review at the bottom of the page?

I really don't understand the instructions there by the user. Are you having trouble with the lens?

5. isabel95

I don't have the lens as yet. I just want to be prepared when it comes if I'm having a problem with it that requires the discussed resetting - but I'm with you - I don't understand the instructions down at the bottom of that review.

The user guide talks about a lens reset which returns the lens to infinity when you shut off the camera. That's in Custom Menu A - Reset Lens.

6. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    I have this new kit lens, which comes with the E-PL2 I got recently.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3540&stc=1&d=1300304449.

I like the lens a lot. Although it is a bit longer, it is smaller in diameter and is lighter. Redesigned to internally focus, it is quieter and faster. Also, you can mount polarizers effectively, which is not the case with the MK-I, or any Canon/Nikon kit lens for that matter, where you actually rotate the front element to focus. The improvement in speed is what I like the most about this lens. Taking photos of an active 3 year old with this, my keepers rate is much higher than before. When taking videos, you don't hear grinding noise when focusing.

I didn't notice any sharpness issue that was reported by that one user on SLRgear. The lens was sharp out of the box. See 100% crop below:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3539&stc=1&d=1300304449.

Cropped from this image (iso 200, f5.6, 1/4s, 18mm):
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3538&stc=1&d=1300304449.

This is just a quick 'review' I made during lunch at work, sorry I don't have more interesting subject. I just shot whatever was on my desk.

Attached Files:

7. isabel95

Thank you for the encouraging feedback...

I'm assuming the lens was designed to be optimized with the E-PL2. Perhaps one might need to reset it with the E-PL1.

When I get it I will post my experience with it.

Isabel