SLRgear's review of the Oly 14-42mm Mk II

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't have the lens as yet. I just want to be prepared when it comes if I'm having a problem with it that requires the discussed resetting - but I'm with you - I don't understand the instructions down at the bottom of that review.

The user guide talks about a lens reset which returns the lens to infinity when you shut off the camera. That's in Custom Menu A - Reset Lens.

ronbot

Mu-43 Regular
I have this new kit lens, which comes with the E-PL2 I got recently.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like the lens a lot. Although it is a bit longer, it is smaller in diameter and is lighter. Redesigned to internally focus, it is quieter and faster. Also, you can mount polarizers effectively, which is not the case with the MK-I, or any Canon/Nikon kit lens for that matter, where you actually rotate the front element to focus. The improvement in speed is what I like the most about this lens. Taking photos of an active 3 year old with this, my keepers rate is much higher than before. When taking videos, you don't hear grinding noise when focusing.

I didn't notice any sharpness issue that was reported by that one user on SLRgear. The lens was sharp out of the box. See 100% crop below:

Cropped from this image (iso 200, f5.6, 1/4s, 18mm):

This is just a quick 'review' I made during lunch at work, sorry I don't have more interesting subject. I just shot whatever was on my desk.

Attachments

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you for the encouraging feedback...

I'm assuming the lens was designed to be optimized with the E-PL2. Perhaps one might need to reset it with the E-PL1.

When I get it I will post my experience with it.

Isabel

I have this new kit lens, which comes with the E-PL2 I got recently.

I like the lens a lot. Although it is a bit longer, it is smaller in diameter and is lighter. Redesigned to internally focus, it is quieter and faster. Also, you can mount polarizers effectively, which is not the case with the MK-I, or any Canon/Nikon kit lens for that matter, where you actually rotate the front element to focus. The improvement in speed is what I like the most about this lens. Taking photos of an active 3 year old with this, my keepers rate is much higher than before. When taking videos, you don't hear grinding noise when focusing.

I didn't notice any sharpness issue that was reported by that one user on SLRgear. The lens was sharp out of the box. See 100% crop below:

Cropped from this image:

This is just a quick 'review' I made during lunch at work, sorry I don't have more interesting subject. I just shot whatever was on my desk.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom