1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SLRgear Posts First Review of Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Phillip Swanson, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Phillip Swanson

Phillip Swanson News Writer

Jun 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Olympus-M.ZUIKO-DIGITAL-ED-75mm-f1.8-lens+hood.
    Beautiful looking lens, but the lens hood picture above isn't included in the camera's $900 price tag.

The first review of the new Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens is in, and it appears Olympus has a winner on its hands, with the only hangup being the $900 asking price.

All of that optic goodness comes at a $900 premium, but the lens's aperture makes it stands alone at the 75mm focal length. There really are no other native m43 alternatives, with adapted lenses offering the only competition.

Andrew Alexander of SLRgear really had nothing bad to say about the lens, and his technical analysis didn't uncover any areas of poor performance. Auto-focus was fast and silent, going from close-focus to infinity in under a second. Although, this isn't a macro lens, with the minimum focus distance being 29.5cm, and offering only 0.1x magnification.

The only downside appears to be Olympus's decision to not include the LH-61F lens hood with the lens. Customers are already dropping $900, throwing in a lens hood shouldn't even be a question.

Source: SLRgear

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am sure if Olympus sells it for $1000, they would throw in the lens hood for free. Apparently, Olympus feels the purchase price to be important and most would not want to pay for the hood.

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Does SLRgear not post a chart for the resolution? Or am I supposed to be looking at the Blur Index?

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Blur index. But they also post a chart if you scroll down.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, blur index. Now if you can translate that to MTFs or anything else meaningful, you're a better man than I.

DH

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    They did photograph and post a test target with the review.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Having looked at a lot of their blur index charts, I can tell you that this one translates into "incredibly sharp". Or you can take their word for it: "The Olympus 75mm ƒ/1.8 is one of the sharpest lenses we've ever tested." Or you can view their Still Life shot and VFA target (scroll down). I canceled my pre-order because I can't afford it, but this lens is on my "buy when I can" list, and this review isn't helping my patience any.

8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I clearly am not! I have no idea what it means.

The reason I ask is because I like to see what aperture is peak, etc...essentially how lenstip does it. I guess I'll just wait for their review.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But it shows you--f/5.6.

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But isn't that why you have TWO kidneys? Natural selection and economics at work!

• Like Like x 1
  11. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I see a purple blob...please enlighten me (not being sarcastic...I actually want to know). Am I looking for uniformity in colour? :confused:

12. Follow the colour legend on the right. The closer to magenta, the sharper the lens. Uniformity of colour indicates nearly equal sharpness across the full frame. Generally the corners will sweep up as resolution degrades toward the extremes of the frame, but the 75mm appears to have just about the flattest graphs I've seen (that's a good thing!).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    The blur index is a three dimensional sharpness scale. Blur is the opposite of sharp, so the more blur the less sharp. You can see the scale on the side, both with colors and numbers. The more pinky-purple (which you can also see is the "bottom" of the scale, between 0 and 1 blur units) the sharper it is. The higher up the scale it goes, the blurrier. Generally you'll see the corners pulling up, moving into blue and even into orange. This lens is incredibly flat and low. At 5.6 it is practically blur free, something I have never seen--and I am addicted to lens reviews. As far as sharpness goes, this is clearly something very special. However, they don't talk about out of focus blur at that site. I am debating whether to get this or the Canon 135mm F2 for my 5D. That lens is often called "magical" because it can isolate a distant object, making it sharp with things in front and back of it out of focus. If this little baby can manage to do that to some degree, it may be the one I go for...

Edit: if you click on the scale it will give you a new, interactive one, and you can adjust the F stop and see how focus changes. For a zoom lens you can also manipulate the focal disance.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The question is whether you really have a need for a 150mm equivalent lens, regardless of how wonderful it is. My preferences in primes have been 90-105mm and 180mm and not much time spent in between. My 80-200mm use is similar - most shots near one end or the other. YMMV, but this clearly incredible lens doesn't really ring a bell for me...

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'll still be getting this lens BUT.............
    Olympus scores an all-time "low" from me by not including a hood with it's premium lens line-up.

My premium Leica MFT lenses have hoods.....

16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    It will be a great lens for indoor sports.

17. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    With optical quality that high, it bespeaks potential as a special-purpose landscape lens, esp. for time spent in alpine, high altitude conditions, like the eastern Sierra and especially the White Mountains with their Bristlecones.

Hmmmmmm..... intriguing.

18. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    For people not sure about this, I recommend going to flickr and browsing the Canon 135mm, or Sony (Zeiss) 135mm picture galleries.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Which is fine, but still not very practical for comparing results, save quire coarsely.

The 'incredibly sharp' part is true enough, and easily seen in all the other reviews (e.g. Pekka Potka's).

But going by the blur charts, it also beats the Olympus 150/2 by a decent margin at all apertures. Which is more than a little surprising.

DH

20. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Well, that's reassuring.

I was on the fence about ordering this... then as soon as the preorder from link Amin popped up- I made mine :redface:

I knew it would be of a "higher quality" but wow. It will not be a everyday lens, but when used it will knock my socks off.

I think I'll put in the same category as my CV notkon 25mm in regards to buyers remorse: always thinking "why did I buy this" and when in use "oh- that's right, I love it."