1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SLRGear posted O25 f1.8 review

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Theo, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    The controversial result is that it claims the PL25 has less CA then the O25.

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Looking at the test results, maximum CA is actually lower on the 1.8 but average CA is higher. I would think generally the higher maximum would be more noticable.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well they certainly can't blame CA correction for that result - the PL25 was tested on the E-P1.

Also worth comparing the sharpness graph vs. the 17/1.8. Either their testing procedure is seriously flawed, or the 17/1.8 is seriously overpriced.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The lenses were tested on different cameras. E-P1 for the PL25 and GX1 for the O25. Not sure how that effects the numbers. Lens Tip always uses the same camera and DxO tests on multiple bodies, so valid comparisons between the lenses can be made.

I don't know if the 17/1.8 is seriously overpriced, because value isn't only dependent on lens resolution, but it doesn't have great numbers.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The price of the 17 is based more on it's metal construction than it's optical superiority in testing. It's never really knocked it out of the park in formal tests.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think the lenses need to be both compared on 16MP sensor.

7. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Sharpness isn't the only measure of a lens. But if that's your main criterion for lens price then the 17mm f/1.8 certainly isn't the best bang-for-the-buck lens. The 17mm f/1.8 definitely isn't as sharp as any of Olympus's other f/1.8 primes, but considering it offers a unique combination of max aperture and fast AF in this focal length range (larger aperture than Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and Olympus 17mm f/2.8; faster AF than both lenses and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7) $400 is a reasonable price for it. I do wish it were sharper though so I'm waiting for the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7, but in the meantime I'm not at all unhappy with my 17mm f/1.8 and it gets almost daily use.

On the 25mm f/1.8, I've been waiting for SLRGear's test results because their results on other lenses track very consistently with my experiences with said lenses, so I have a really good feel for what their charts translate to in real life usage. It's obvious this is another fantastic lens with great bang-for-the-buck along the lines of the 45mm f/1.8.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    $400 might be, but they're charging $500!

At any rate, the 25 clearly offers excellent image quality across the board, in the tradition of the 45 and 75. I just wish the 17/1.8 did the same.

9. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Rebates, my friend. Rebates! Paying full price is a fool's game :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  10. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Controversial? What source states otherwise?

11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh- I'm waiting for cashing in on credit card rewards points + refurbished lenses to pop up.

12. Subsonic

Subsonic Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2013
    Chicagoland
    Chris
    The Robin Wong review essentially stated the opposite. Claimed the O25 had less CA than the PL25 but he did add that the Oly bodies adjust for CA from Olympus lenses and not for the Panasonic lenses. Either way though it seems both lenses are pretty killer...

• Like Like x 1
  13. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I waited until B&H's black friday deals were announced and picked it up for $400. I don't know that I would ever pay full price for an Olympus lens given how frequently they're "on sale".

• Like Like x 1
  14. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    hmm a bit cleaner in the corners and less CA choose Oly or a touch faster lens not as clean in corners and more CA chance choose the Panny ? is kinda the way I see it :)

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Actually, Wong's comparison shot was taken at WA if I recall, and according to SLRGear, the Panny has significantly worse CA at WA than the Oly ("Unfortunately this fringing is noticeable throughout the frame, not just in the corners, at this aperture"). So I'm guessing that's what Wong was seeing.

16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    What's WA? Widest aperture?

17. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    This is no technical test, just a Oly spokesman hands on. Let the other real reviews come in before!

• Like Like x 2
  18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What zoom? The lens being discussed is the 25/1.8, a normal prime. Ie no zoom, no change in angle. Fixed focal length.

19. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    You're right, I'm making no sense . . . need my coffee before I post! Sorry!!

I misunderstood my own post . . . I should have written Wide-Open; e.g., f/1.4.

Here's what slrGear wrote (hopefully I can't screw up just posting a quote!):

"There is some chromatic aberration to speak of when the lens is used wide open at ƒ/1.4, taking the form of magenta fringing on areas of high contrast. Unfortunately this fringing is noticeable throughout the frame, not just in the corners, at this aperture. Happily, at other apertures, CA is less visible".

If you look at the graph you can see that the maximum CA on the Panasonic--visible only wide-open--is significantly greater than the maximum CA on the Olympus, although the average CA on the Panasonic was actually lower.

OK, back to the picture Wong posted, which was taken at f/1.8. Assuming that the CA present at f/1.4 isn't completely gone by f/1.8, then it would make sense that he sees more CA in the Panasonic than the Olympus. Had he taken the picture at a more appropriate aperture for this subject he probably would have seen the opposite result, though according to the SLRgear results they would have been very close.

20. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    That Wongs picture has in body CA correction for the Oly, and no CA correction for the Pana leica.