1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SLR Magic Spotting Scope

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Dec 19, 2011.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 3
  2. thomasfl71

thomasfl71 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    I have bought it, and I like it. I have not tried other spotting scopes, so I can't compare, but this one really brings you close - and image quality is better than I expected. Here are some samples from today. (If focus is not 100% perfect, it is because I couldn't feel my own hands because of the freezing cold.)

SLRMagic Spotting Scope - a set on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'm not sure I'd have enough use for it to justify the cost, but it would be fun to have. What's the minimum focus distance?

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I'm interested in this, and it's good to see those shots.
    But my thinking about a lower budget ultra-zoom like this is that although it allows you to see things and identify them that you would otherwise not be able to, the resulting image quality (from what I've seen so far) for me is too low. If one showed a cropped image of a bird then the quality would be not be anything like on a par with many other bird shots from closer, and unless you can explain the super-zoomage then it will just look like an inferior image alongside other photos.
    I would like to see a rigorous test of this device.

Specifications
    Lens Type Spotting Scope
    Compatible Cameras All micro four thirds mount cameras
    Magnification 12-36x
    35mm equivalent focal length 840-2520mm
    Objective 50
    Lens Coating Multi Coated
    Close Focus 15 ft.
    Water Resistant/Fog proof Yes
    Eyepiece Straight Zoom
    Eye relief 23mm
    Weight 28.2 oz/800g
    49.4 oz/1400g (with mFT adapter objective)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Larryb

Larryb New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    SLR Magic spotting scope and Lumix GH1

I recently purchased this for use on my GH1 but have not been able to get passed the message "Please check that the lens is attached correctly." I realize that my other lenses are electronically interconnected to the camera body and that this spotting scope is not, but there must be a setting where I can deactivate this error message. If anybody has some suggestions I'd love to hear them so I can start using this spotting scope. Larryb

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I believe you have an option that is no lens, and this must be activated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thomasfl71

thomasfl71 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    That's right. Menu -> Custom menu -> shoot w/o lens (on GF1, probably the same)

• Like Like x 1
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here is a link of some sample pics with this lens. Some of the pics have weird circles on them. Not sure if it is a problem with the lens or something on the lens or perhaps the sensor itself.

SLR Magic Spotting Scope - a set on Flickr

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    That's classic dirty sensor marks.

10. thomasfl71

thomasfl71 New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    That's right. I'm afraid I left some marks when removing dust :-( Not very visible with normal lenses, though. On the other hand, a good excuse for camera upgrade :)

11. Larryb

Larryb New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks Thomas. I will give it a try this weekend. Right now the house is in disarray (sounds better than "mess") because of a remodel and just getting to the camera could be a safety concern.