1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

SLR Magic launches HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 for Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'm really, really interested in this lens . . . wonder when it will be available (in the USA).

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I wrote this off when I first heard about it (SLR Magic/Noktor don't have the best track record for quality...) but every review I've read has raved about it... Very very tempting, especially if they fix the flare problem with the prototypes.

Tossing up between getting this, or waiting for a possibly fast-wide Voigtlander for MFT (I'm in no rush :smile:)

4. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    This will probably be my next lens. I'm really wanting an ultra wide angle, and the Olympus is just a little too much for me. If this lens is in fact 500, then I'll probably get it. The reviews have been excellent for the preproduction model.

5. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Any clue on what retail price will be U.S.?

6. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    I have not seen anything official, but SLR Magic has hinted at a 499 price in the past.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Anyone know of a US distributor offering it now?

8. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Found some images on flickr for size reference... it looks pretty cool mounted on the GH2.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackbarth/6315218690/" title="Size comparison by H.Hackbarth, on Flickr"> 6315218690_acfa005764_m. "240" height="135" alt="Size comparison"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackbarth/6315220504/" title="SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 at Lumix GH2 by H.Hackbarth, on Flickr"> 6315220504_2c9be2358a_m. "240" height="180" alt="SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 at Lumix GH2"></a>

9. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm super excited about this lens, the minimum focusing distance is pretty awesome as well. Will probably be my next MFT purchase

10. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I have received this morning an email from the SLR Magic Sales Team confirming the price and date of available of this lens:

'However, if you are interested in ordering our lens,
    the SLR Magic 12mm F1.6 lens with black ring for the micro 43 system is now available for pre-order.

The price of the lens is $499 USD (does not include import duty). We can offer you free shipping service ($70 value) and we expect to be able to deliver the 12mm lens to you around 10-15th Jan 2012.

Please kindly give us the following information. It is important you check that it is correct or UPS will have a heavy penalty for address correction and it is not included in the free shipping service.

Full Name:
    Address(daytime):
    City:
    State:
    Postal Code:
    Telephone(daytime):

Upon your email reply with above details, we will send you a paypal money request. Please note that there maybe import duty/tax charged by the country of import and the buyer is responsible for such duty/tax.

Kind rgds.,
    SLR Magic Sales Team'

11. chromadame

chromadame Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2011
    Oh no another lens I want... that preorder is tempting.

12. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    I'm sure this question has been asked, but what is the verdict? Comparable IQ to the Oly? That Oly 12 seems like a really, really nice lens. Rather large price diff. but if the Oly blows it out of the water, I will certainly save up for that over the SLR Magic.

Doesn't SLR Magic use CCTV lenses, by the way? Haven't fully done the research but it was my understanding that their fast primes were CCTV...

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

SLR Magic sells various lenses. The "toy" lenses they sell on ebay are just CCTV lenses with an adaptor and fancy packaging. They bought the Noktor brand a year or so ago. Noktor is in Hong Kong and produces a very fast 50mm. This 12mm lens has been listed both as an SLR Magic and a Noktor but is not mentioned on the Noktor site. I think they are special made but are basically improved CCTV lenses. The Noktor site FAQ says the glass is manufactured in Japan and the lenses are assembled in Hong Kong. The company that actually manufactures the glass{Goyo optical} is a company that produces CCTV lenses. However I have tried to find a specific model that this one or the 50mm matches and can't. The 50mm is overpriced! the 12mm at $500 is OK priced. The pictures/videos I have seen look good however.

• Like Like x 1