1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SLR Magic 12mm T1.6

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Artorius, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Wish I had the money. I'd get this lens right now! Its going for $439+free shipping in the USA. God, I wish I had the money for this.

SLR Magic 12mm F1.6 - DigitalRev

2. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Do you happen to know what is the tax import to usa?

3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I have no idea, sorry.

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I nearly ruptured with GAS when I discovered the existence of the lens this week, and wow it's even $110 cheaper now. Unfortunately with US taxes due today there is no way.

For me what is HUGE info is they are developing either an anamorphic attachment lens or a full anamorphic with a 1.33x ratio, it gives around a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

5. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Seems like an awesome lens... Not sure if I can justify that kind of coin for a MF lens...

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I had it for a while, and it is a fun lens. It has incredible close-focus capabilities--it'll focus with the subject practically touching the lens. It is, however, big and heavy and not quite as sharp as I'd hoped stopped down. The 12mm Oly is just so much lighter and (for me) practical; it's become my favorite lens.

7. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    I had the oly 12mm before, but I just cant tolerate with the barrel distortion 5 to 6 degree compared to the slr magic whis is around 1 to 2 degree. Im planning to buy this for video purposes. Anyone knows what's the tax import from digital rev to usa?

8. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    It really varies. I bought an EOS M kit several months ago for around $700 and did not have to pay any import duties/customs fees. I did have to fill out the stupid FCC Form 740 (I think that's the one), however.

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is an import tax coming into the US for such an item. European Union countries charge a VAT (value added tax) for incoming goods.

10. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Sorry for my ignorance, what is FCC form 740? Where to get it and to whom should I send to form to?

I have been doing some google search about this, I read mixed review about Digitalrev. Some said they paid up to usd300 tax for a viewfinder and some said they only pay usd11. I tried to call digitalrev rep, but there's no answer.

11. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    Steve Huff reviewed this lens here and made some interesting comparisons to the Oly 12mm.

He did say he was going to do a more in depth comparison but I don't think that has happened yet.

I'm very interested in owning this lens at some point but money's tight at the moment and a tripod should probably come first.

12. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Just realized that this lens is heavier than epl5 body+bat(325g) vs 12mm(330g).