1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SLR Magic 12mm t1.6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Pan, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Pan

Pan New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2012
    NYC, NY
    Hey guys,

So I was wondering, I've had a vast interest in this lens for a while now, but things come up and I've never been able to get one. Have an upcoming video shoot scheduled and would love to use this lens. I have a chance to grab one in the days coming up but I'd like to get some feedback as well as some advice from anyone who's used one/owns one/uses one extensively.

As for the feedback, can you tell me how the lens performs in video mode? I've read and seen a few videos about it but would like some more info.

If I do lean towards grabbing one, I'd be picking it up from someone locally. Is this advised? Or should I get it from a dealer in case something is wrong with it (as I've read in a few places) and I can return it?

Also, if there's anything else I should know about the lens let me know, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I too was very interested in this lens for a long time.
    Well at this hour I can't recall all the information on the lens but one thing I know for sure is that you cant screw a hood or filters to it or you will see vignetting. SLR magic knows this and sells a special 58/77 RING (optional) lens hood with 77mm threads you can screw filters to it. It's over 80 dollars if I remember correctly and 77mm filters are not cheep.

here is what they say about it:
    Regards,
    D

3. Pan

Pan New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2012
    NYC, NY
    Thanks, yeah I remember reading about that, I heard some stories that the "cheapo" step up filters on eBay worked for some people. Not sure if they're true.

Were you able to handle the lens? See how it performed in photo and video?

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I was not able to handle one but did see sample on how it preformed
    for stills. It was soft wide open , and doesn't look sharp until f2 and gets peak sharpness until 2.8 and after. At least that's what I remember from the samples I seen and review I read. And when it was released it was only 150 less than the Oly 12 mm and I couldn't see the savings for the little benefits of a softer wider stop with lack of AF.
    May I ask what price you found it for?