1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase SLR Magic 10mm T2.1 Hyperprime

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by umii, May 22, 2016.

1. umii

umii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    uk
    Couldn't see a subject for this sorry if I missed it! Just picked one up for filming mainly but getting my head around it taking some pics as well, waiting for larger nd filter before filming but silly stuff I have shot playing I really like, build quality is lovely and you can just screw in filters (77mm) which lots of other wide you cant that I've see. My tiffen 77mm is fine for the crop in 4k film but vignettes badly for photos which is worth knowing, have 82mm version 2 slr magic nd on back order. these are uncorrected for lens distortion, did correct for chromatic aberration like where the tree is against the white you could see some but then the camera won't be auto applying that I guess as it's a manual lens.

Like it so far. (on GH4)

P1210104-HDR. P1210112-HDR. P1210134.

• Like Like x 5
  2. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Can you try a shot of stars at night? I'm interested in the lens for night shots

• Like Like x 1
  3. umii

umii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    uk
    I can try :) not done that before, I'll do some research and have a go, very cloudy and started raining at the moment so no chance tonight!
    Have an app that tells me where interesting stars are will try using that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. umii

umii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    uk
    This is my first go after a lot or reading up, it was finally a clear night with no moon, I have a ton of light pollution where I am, I'd never really noticed before this even when I go into the countryside, had to light room it a lot to get something I liked but I got something that looks like stars!

T2.1 focused to infinity as hyper focal at that aperture is just a nudge off infinity so didn't want to risk it. Ended up going ISO 800 an 1600. 25 sec exposure, I calculated I should be able to get 32 secs before star trails but I was getting them at 30 slightly so stuck with 25sec.

Have included as shot and after lightroom as I had to make quite some artistic interpretation! can send raw if that's of interest. Didn't do any lens distortion or vignette correction, just did chromatic aberration.
    iso800 with lots of light pollution
    P1210365-25.0 secISO 800-3.

As shot
    P1210365-25.0 secISO 800-4.

iso1600 plane going over and a few other interesting bits
    P1210359-25.0 secISO 1600.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Now thats interesting. No bow tie stars like cv. I was wishing for a fast uwa lens for awhile now. Thanks

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's not that wide is it? Not sure between this and the Kowa - the Kowa is wider bit a bit slower.

7. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Is the Olympus fisheye faster? The Kowa 8.5mm is almost the same price as the 7-14, and the same speed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah the fisheye is faster, f/1.8. There's some vignetting at f/1.8 so the T-stop is probably similar to the Hyperprime, but being 8mm fisheye it is way wider so you can do longer shutter speeds without star trails.

9. umii

umii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    uk
    Bit of Halloween fun slr magic 10mm gh4
    skull-small.

IMG_2045.JPG

had my 42.5 on for this shot but liked the distortion from the 10mm in the first shot getting in really close better so went with that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1