1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Slower AF lock on AEL/AFL button?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by groms, Aug 29, 2012.

1. groms

groms Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    E-P1 with 20 1.7:
    When I put S-AF to focus on AEL/AFL button (mode 3), it seems like the focus lock confirmation, beep and green light both, come slower than when it is assigned to shutter button. Anyone else notice this? Seems like the lens focuses with the same speed, but the slower confirmation makes it feel MUCH slower in use. Maybe this has been corrected in later models?

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    No as I recall both speed is the same, the only drawback is I have to reach out the button when using it with OM-D. Unlike when I use with EPL-1 where I can assign the AFL to direct movie record button so I can use it with my thumb. In OM-D I have to use Fn-1.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have both the E-P1 and the E-P3 and I haven't noticed this with either of them.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Not an issue on OM-D either.

5. groms

groms Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    strange...
    It does this with both the 14-42 and the 20. When on mode 1 (shutter button) the focus confirm comes almost before the lens is finished focusing. On mode 3 (AEL/AFL button) it focuses finished, then after a slight pause it confirms. Might be about half a second difference.
    When I turn shutter priority off and push shutter button completely down before focusing is finished, the shutter is not released before confirmation, so the difference is obvious there.