1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Slow transfer to PC from genuine Sandisc Ultra?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Borsch, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello,
    I have what I am sure is a genuine (bought from MyMemory.co.uk - not ebay) Sandisc Ultra 16gb 30Mb/s SDHC card and while it works fine in the camera, I have just tried to transfer photos form it to my PC and found that they transfer at around 1Mb/s(!!) when using my HP printer integrated card reader or 2.5Mb/s when connecting my GF5 to the PC with usb cable.

Is there a trick to unlock a higher speed? My ipod transferred data at around 15Mb/s.

My system is: Win7 64bit, 8gb RAM, i5 2500K CPU, GF5 camera, HP C4280 printer. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    How old is the printer? It sounds like it might be USB 1.

3. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I had the printer since around 2008, I dont think it's a usb1...
    But GF5 itself is also slow - 2.5Mb/s is better than printer's measly 1mb/s, but still painfully slow :(

At what speed does your camera transfer files?

4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I've never timed it because I always use a card reader. I'll try next time a see what I get. Card readers don't use my battery.

5. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    That'd be helpful, thanks!

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

18MB/sec on my transcend class 10 card.

Windows sometimes decides to drop back to USB1.1 for reasons not clear - that is what your speeds are comparable to ...

I suspect an older or perhaps defective device is connected to the same USB controller (one controller can control several ports) and the speed is dropped at the controller level instead of the port level - I realy don't know but I have had it happen on quite a number of occasions. In some configurations windows will notify of such a switch but that notification can be disabled so one never knows when the switch has been made.

Disconnect everything possible from your computer that uses USB and test your card speeds. Plug one device at a time back in to the USB and when the speed drops you likely have found the offending device.

Wireless mice/keyboards that have USB reciever are terrible when the battery gets low. I use them all the time (really convenient) and when the battery levels got low ... trouble in the form of all manner of weirdness.

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Mb/s and MB/s are very different concepts.

30 Mb/s (megabits per second) is roughly 3.75 MB/s (megabytes per second) without any overhead.

You should clarify which measurement it is that you're speaking of first. I'm assuming you're speaking in bytes when you're addressing Windows transfer speeds, because that's how it is calculated in operating systems.

Are you using a memory card reader? Onboard or adapter? Does your motherboard have dedicated legacy USB 1.0 ports that you're mistakingly plugging into?

8. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Many thanks for your answers!

Is that the speeed through your card reader or your camera with the card connected to PC? I think I gave up on my printer's card reader, so I mainly want to trouble shoot my GF5 transfer speed.

I've disconnected everything, but then I just decided to test my ipod again and yep it transfers just like your card -very fast indeed:

642f3149e45801f5e7f08699ffac0001.

My GF5, connected to the same USB port - not so good, about ten times slower:

b4da912e5ec61ad5ca5ffa33d2be2dc0.

Sorry, should have made it clearer - I was talking about MB (megabytes)not Mb (Megabits) all along... My motherboard is Z68ap-d3, and has, quote "Chipset:
    Up to 10 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 6 ports available through the internal USB headers)
    Etron EJ168 chip:
    Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the back panel"...

9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Reader that is integrated into the wee HP netbook. I never connect via camera unless updating firmware.

10. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Ok, I've just tried connecting my camera to another PC that runs Windows XP and it transfered 200MB in just a few seconds. So it looks like there is a problem with my Win7 64...

11. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Found the culprit! :)

I've updated my motherboard BIOS, USB drivers - still the transfer was slow at around 2.5MB/s.
    In desperation, I tried disabling my Avira antivirus during transfer and VOILA - around 10MB/s for photos. NOw need to find out if I can set up a rule for antivirus to ignore my SD card transfers... But problem solved! :)

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Why not just use microsoft security essentials? It is free, designed for windows, and won't bog your system down like antivirus programs tend to do.

Also, a relatively cheap option to get even faster speeds would be to get a USB 3.0 card to put in the pc (you'd need a compliant cable and card reader too then)...but then your harddrive might bottleneck anyway (which would lead to purchasing a usb 3.0 external drive)...upgrading is slipper slope!

13. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I like(ed) Avira :) But will now need to tweek around it somewhat. Microsoft Security is installed on my other machine and it too has its own not so good idiosyncrasies- nothing is perfect:( For now, disabling antivir takes a two clicks, but if I bump into a more elegant solution, I'll post it here :)