Slow telephoto zooms - why so many?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gsk3, Nov 29, 2012.

1. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    There are, to wit:

- Oly 40-150
    - Panny 45-150
    - Panny 45-175
    - Panny 45-200

All are around $300, all f/4-5.6.

Why so much redundancy? And if I were to buy one, which should I buy (size and sharpness are prime considerations).
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Why so many 14ish - 45ish normal zooms?

Because that's what sells to the general public.

As for your actual question, if you need faster aperture, there is the 35-100/2.8 now. If you don't, then it's mostly a matter of what you need at the long end - the list gets pretty short if you need 200mm+, and even shorter if you're using a Panny body and need OIS built into the lens.
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    They are all kind of same the difference is size and slight range. I own the P45-200 that is soft after the 150mm and a bit bigger.
    Take a look at the pictures threads of each lens.
    If you own a Panny camera stick only to Panny lenses because of OIS.

If you want a faster lens then you can always get a legacy prime. I just got a 135 F/2.8 from the tests sots it is quite decent. It costs me on Ebay 30$ including shipping.
  4. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Always assumed the 14-42's proliferate because they're the main kit lenses.

I have a 135mm f/2.8 Minolta that's great, but in the tele range I prefer IS and AF....

I have a GF-3, so the pointer to stick with the Panny's is helpful. Still leaves me with 3 lenses that are very similar on paper. I don't really care about 300mm vs. 400mm equivalent max range. Either way is long enough. Size and sharpness matter more.

5. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    In which case the choice is simple - get the 45-150. It is the most recent, seems to be plenty sharp (according to the early reviews such as ephotozine and camerastuffreview), is comfortably smaller and lighter than the other two Panasonic zooms and can be had for a good price. It's half the weight of the 45-200.

6. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Great, thanks. Will start saving pennies....
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    The Panasonic 45-175mm is a powered zoom if you want to have a telephoto for video.

I think Panasonic's intended to have two models to pick from for stills, maximums of 150mm vs. 200mm for reach with different size and weight. Then have one for video.
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you'll notice, all manufacturers have a bunch of slow telephoto zooms which are "next to" kit lenses. They are the lenses that the electronics store salespeople will recommend buyers to buy with their camera kit, and are thrown into Manager's Special kits on a semi-regular basis. Many customers come back to purchase these lenses as their next "upgrade" after purchasing an entry-level body+lens kit.

So yes, the 14-42mm lenses are the main kit lenses but the slow telephotos are the "secondary" kit lenses.
    • Like Like x 1