Slow Sd Card for long exposure ???

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Mar 26, 2016.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello guys.

I had a slow sd card. My EM1 took a long time to save the photo when i shoot long exposure photos. I decided to buy a new sd card. I bought a Sandisk class 10 95 MB/S.

The problem is that i don't see big difference ? What is happening ? Had i taken another Sd card or is it normal ??

Thx alot
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    It's nothing to do with the card.
    With long exposures the camera takes a second shot (same time as the original) with the shutter closed to help remove noise (google 'Dark frame subtraction' for details). There's generally a option in the menu to turn off this behavior - something like 'long exposure NR'.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bmhome1

bmhome1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    There are staggering numbers of fake Sandisk SD being sold on eBay and even Amazon. Some have very exaggerated speed labels and even grossly lower capacities.

I only ever buy sealed retail packaging.

Also, 95MB/sec has been reserved for the Extreme Pro series up to now.

The card pictured looks suspicious to me, with graphics unlike usual Sandisk high-end cards.

You can check validity by running the tiny serial number engraved at SanDisk's website.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I will search it when i have time. I believe it's Noise reduction..

The truth is that i bought from ebay. I think it's fake !!!
  5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I think it's set up AUTO as default. Noise reduction (not noise filter). It kicks in on exposures over like 1-2 seconds. You will want it on. It's worth the extra wait..files come out nice and clean. Even w/fast card it's going to take double the amount of time of your exposure (30sec=1min total to take/write to card).
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As was said, it's doing noise reduction, not writing to the card during that extra time. The card being fake or not, is a different problem.