Slow Autofocus? m4/3'rds? Mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Jan 23, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Say it ain't so, Ken!

What is it with mirrorless cameras? They usually have no real focus rings, and certainly no depth-of-field scales so people can calculate optimum apertures; and autofocus can be totally retarded all the way to before the 1980s!

Honest, I compared the AF speed and performance of the EOS-M directly to my 1987 35mm Canon EOS 650 and a 1980s EF 50mm f/1.8, and the 26-year-old EOS camera still has much better and faster autofocus.

Ken Rockwell's Photography Updates

BTW- I'm not a Rockwell hater.. but he's wrong here.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a review of the Canon EOS-M mirrorless system, not Micro Four-Thirds. Very different story. ;) He should not be lumping all "mirrorless cameras" together in broad statements.
  3. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    Isn't the use of the word retarded the sign of a useless piece of ****?
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    "and autofocus can be totally mentally challenged all the way to before the 1980s!"

Fixed. Now it's Politically Correct. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    There's a reason why you shouldn't take photography blogs seriously.
  6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Could have used a more polite and less cutting word, for sure.

Retarded comes from the Latin retardare, "to make slow, delay, keep back, or hinder," so mental retardation means the same as mentally delayed. The term was recorded in 1426 as a "fact or action of making slower in movement or time." The first record of retarded in relation to being mentally slow was in 1895. The term retarded was used to replace terms like idiot, moron, and imbecile because retarded was not (then) a derogatory term. By the 1960s, however, the term had taken on a partially derogatory meaning as well. The noun retard is particularly seen as pejorative; as of 2010, the Special Olympics, Best Buddies and over 100 other organizations are striving to eliminate the use of the "r-word" (analogous to the "n-word") in everyday conversation.
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands's Ken Rockwell.
  8. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Granted in this case he over-generalized, but as far as photography blogs, Ken is the way to go! His blog is the reason I stopped upgrading camera bodies and lusting after specs, and shoot purely with my e-pl1 with a fixed 20mm f1.7 lens (except for my custom telescope and microscope mounts). Haven't looked back. My only reason for looking at the olympus upgrades is because of the lack of a remote shutter.
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

SSSHhhh.. that's not something you want to admit to in public...
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Well....My early 90s N6006 is quite snappy in the AF department :smile:
  11. aimawayfromface

aimawayfromface Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2012
    I fixed it for him. To his credit, he tried to use the word correctly.
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Maybe Ken was speaking of himself and not autofocus.
  13. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Or maybe he's from Massachusetts. He's Re-tah-did for likin his chow dah.
  14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Ken Rockwell is that reason! :biggrin:
  15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I agree. All it proves is what a surprising effort from Canon the 'M' turned out to be. Maybe they'll get it right next time.