1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

slow at taking pics

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by frugalman, Jul 29, 2012.

1. frugalman

frugalman Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2012
    i find when using my GF2 and using the P mode, the time it takes for me to auto focus and until the time when the picture is taken... it takes a while. (like a good 1,2 seconds)

I think I am used to canon DSLR when that process is quick. Am I doing something wrong with my GF2?

Is the GH2 quick in this aspect?

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The Panasonics are usually pretty quick to focus by all accounts (it took Olympus awhile to catch up).

What lens are you using ?

Does it make any difference if you use a central focus point and/or spot meter mode ?

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    In my experience the GF2 focus is blazing fast with most lenses. Just as fast as DSLRs. I shoot in A, single focus, burst mode.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The lens makes a big difference... with my GF2 on a lens like the 20mm f/1.7 that's known to be slow to autofocus, it definitely felt slow. The same GF2 with the PL 25mm f/1.4 or Olympus 12mm f/2.0 was considerably faster. I used to use 2-3 area focus most of the time with the GF2 but later switched to single point AF primarily. Either setting had similar results.

5. frugalman

frugalman Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2012
    Time shutter opens and closes and ready for the next picture is probably the longest part. Actually I believe AF is quick.

so, it frustrates me if i am missing an action shot that's continuously happening

I tried the spot on metering, A, and burst mode. Same timings.
    I am using 14-140mm lumix lens right now. But this is also true if I use my 20mm lumix lens too.

Should try something else?

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Try it in iA mode - that will be the easy way to tell if you have changed some setting.

The ones that come to mind are AFC and focus priority.

Many people have reported that AFS works better for fast action. CDAF AFC is not really where it needs to be yet

7. frugalman

frugalman Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

iA is quick
    it is close to satisfactory timings.

8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm a little confused... which part is slow for you? The shutter - what's your shutter speed? Or are you talking about the processing time after the shutter while it's writing to the card? Maybe you need a faster card if the write time is slow... I've been using sandisk extreme class 10 30MB/s cards since the GF2 and have no complaints.

9. frugalman

frugalman Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2012
    I am using this:

Class 6 6 MB/sec (min performance, not sure what it is exactly)

If I am correct, class 6 can handle HD recording

shutter speed is various as I am using P mode. I tested it just now, it was at 30 SS for example.

10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    At 6 MB/s if you're shooting RAW it could take 1-2 seconds or longer just to write to the card. I would consider upgrading your SD card to see better performance, especially on burst mode. The Sandisk cards I'm using are all of $16-18 shipped for a 16GB card, so it's a cheap investment.

1/30 is not a particularly fast shutter speed, so if you feel like the shutter is on the slower side, that's probably because it is :wink:

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Then there is something in your settings.

Card is fine.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Are you shooting raw, jpeg, or raw+jpeg? What size jpeg?