Slot Canyons

DMLarson

Mu-43 Rookie
When I made the switch this year from APS-C to :43: the major motivating consideration was that I wanted a high quality, light weight set up for taking with me into slot canyons. So far the slots that I have done have been pretty easy, but I want to explore more technical canyons where I will be carrying a lot of gear and will need to keep my camera set up small. My go to lens for slots right now is the Panasonic 7-14mm. I am also very interested in the 9mm prime that Olympus is rumored to be working on. I was hoping that the Olympus EM-10 would be my go to camera, but combined with the Panasonic 7-14 I was getting the purple fringing/blobs in about 90% of my slot shots. It is extremely contrasty in a slot, even when there is no sun anywhere near the little bit of sky I can see. So I bought a used Panasonic GX-7 a few weeks ago to couple with the 7-14mm and have been pretty happy with the results.

Last edited:

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
Beautiful photos, Dan. You have captured the light and textures magnificently. I imagine the water flow through these narrow canyons must be terrific during flash floods.

CharlieL

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Charlie

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Wonderful series Dan. I thoroughly enjoyed looking.
It appears that the GX7/P7-14 combo is free of purple flare, so common when using with an Olympus body. I applied the the rear filter mod with a Wratten 2E, it helps but a certain amount of flare is still evident, colour shifted so more acceptable.
I've been reading about the GX7, it's very tempting I must say.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Dan, I've nominated the first post for headline feature, what I meant of course is the entire thread. Hope Amin or one of the moderators realises this to be the case.
Keep posting, I'm finding it really interesting.
Steve.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Steve. I have gotten a handful of images with the purple flare using the GX7/P7-14. But it happens only rarely. I really enjoy that set up, it is small, comfortable to carry, gives me an excellent ultra wide angle, and the GX7 is delightful to shoot with. On this last trip I used my E-M1/O12-40 because I was in wet canyons where I would need to swim and I didn't want to risk the Panasonic rig. I also loved using the Olympus set up, but it was heavier, and I was already loaded down with a lot of canyoneering gear in my pack. Also, I wish that I had the 7mm for some shots. I dry bagged the E-M1 when I had to swim, but it still got wet in a couple of spots and kept going just fine.
Dan, I'm considering the GX7 as a 'taming device' for my own P7-14, but you mention above it not being totally immune. Is it possible to show some examples please, it would help with my decision making.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thank you very much Dan, you've really pushed the boat out by doing this for me.
The figures are the important point for me to take away, I'm greatly encouraged by this. I think I shall start looking for a good used GX7.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Excellent photographic record of the slot canyons, the colours are phenomenal?
I've been following your posts from the start and I'm glad to see that you're back in business.

wercrazy

Mu-43 Regular
A couple from last year, not sure if the Bryce one counts as a slot canyon however.
20140530-Wall St hike Bryce Canyon.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20140529-Burr Trail slot canyon.jpg

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Beautiful canyons & nicely captured!

I've only been to Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands & Arches back in 2002 with a film camera.

I was here too in 2003 & took almost the same shot of this White Dome Slot Canyon in Valley of Fire.

I need to dig back those shoe boxes of films :)

Thanks for sharing.

EricRose

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eric Rose
Wonderful images. I have been to several of the same canyons so can appreciate what you were up against. Just a question did you do any HDR in the Antelope Canyons?

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
Lovely work Dan. I did my first backpack in S. Utah in 1977 - solo down the Paria w/ Mamiya 645. Goes w/o saying that rocked my photographic world! As Ed Abbey says there's 10 lifetimes to explore there. You're on your way!

FWIW I do not own the Panny 7-17 but have considered it. I recall reading somewhere about a fix for the purple blob problem. As I recall, there is an attachment available for the rear of the lens to add a UV filter. This apparently solve the problem. Have you tried this?

My go to lens for slots right now is the Panasonic 7-14mm. .......... I was hoping that the Olympus EM-10 would be my go to camera, but combined with the Panasonic 7-14 I was getting the purple fringing/blobs in about 90% of my slot shots. It is extremely contrasty in a slot, even when there is no sun anywhere near the little bit of sky I can see. So I bought a used Panasonic GX-7 a few weeks ago to couple with the 7-14mm and have been pretty happy with the results.

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
FYI, have tried twice to get up the Buckskin from Paria junction in summer conditions years ago. Got mild hypothermia both times wading neck deep narrow cold water so had to stop (I'm only 150 lbs so not much insulation). Recommend you consider a farmer john wet suite. Have been part way down from the top couple times day hiking. As you are aware, you'll likely need rope for some big chock stones. Sometimes ropes are in place sometimes not.

Sadly permits are now required & there are lots of people in there. No one else was in the canyon both times I went down the Paria years ago. The Virgin Narrows has also become very crowded in the summer & fall.

You know about using a pole to probe ahead for quicksand?

Wow, lugging a Mamiya 645 down the Paria, what an experience. I haven't hiked the Paria yet, and desperately want to do Buckskin Gulch. On a side note, I used to lug Mamiya 645 on some long hikes in Yellowstone in the 90s.

Yes, I have read about the fix for the Panny 7-14. It involves a simple modification to the back of the lens to allow drop in gel filters. Then cut a Wratten gel filter to insert. No, I haven't tried that fix. I am going to buy the Olympus 7-14 as soon as it is released. I am very frustrated that it wasn't released this winter. I really, really wanted it for my last trip. By the time it comes out my slot season will be over, and I will have to wait until fall to use it.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Tent rocks. It doesn't have the rich colors of the slot canyons in Utah or Arizona, so I went monochrome.
8943577677_b169f56f37_b.jpg
Tent Rocks National Monument by GFFPhoto, on Flickr

8931953853_99a4b62163_b.jpg

and one in color with the vibrance and saturation boosted (you can see a more natural rendering in CharlieL's photos on pg 2)

8931956459_520935dd0c_b.jpg

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428777830.256543.jpg
waterholes canyon, Arizona

Latest threads

Top Bottom