Sling?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dornblaser, Aug 14, 2012.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I just clicked on the dsptch ad at the top of this page and looked at their slings. Has anyone used one? It looks like a nice way to carry a camera w/single lens for those times that you don't need more storage or other lenses, etc.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I haven't used the DSPTCH "sling", but I do use an OP/TECH sling which I find quite useful. I guess the Black Rapid strap is perhaps the originator of this type of product

The DSPTCH product really looks more like a long strap than what I would consider a true "sling". The Black Rapid and OP/TECH both have a single connection to the camera (either from a strap lug or attached to the tripod mount) and the connector slides up and down the strap when you bring the camera up to shoot.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    wearing a camera sling style is the only way to go (other than a wrist strap!).

4. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Another sling/strap that caught my eye is Sun Sniper Compact. I have to try a sling.

5. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    The Luma Labs Cinch is way better than Black Rapid RS-4, RS-5 and RS-7.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I purchased and use the dsptch strap. It works just fine (after all it's just a strap.) I've use it as a neck strap and lengthened it for slinging. It works fine. Much less strap than the Rapid Sport strap it replaced. As a sling I hook onto the side eye/strap fitting and also to the bottom of the grip, it works quite well that way, holds the bottom plate of the grip against the body, with the eyecup north and lens south.

I will sling and also carry a bag with no problem.

Gary

7. incubits

incubits New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    Never understood this sentiment actually. Slings are used across a multitude of products (rifles, bags, etc.) and none of them feature that type of single-point-of-contact and sliding functionality.

Isn't a sling just anything that is worn across your shoulder?

8. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I ordered one to use with my OM-D, works fine with my 4/3 50-200 non swd carried sling style, the lens is pointing down. works fine also with the 45-200 panny. it allows you to adjust as needed.
    frank

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Sling

Im using Gariz gunshot sling set-up and really like it. Mounts to tripod socket with a D-ring and slides up and down the strap with ease. Strap is not in the way of gripping camera at all. Great design, and about same price as dispatch but made of real leather with a shoulder pad to boot. Definitely designed for our smaller cameras, not overkill like the optech or rapid strap.

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I guess you're technically correct. I just feel like having to twist the strap around your body to shoot would get a little annoying. I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone from supporting a mu-43 sponsor, so if the long neck strap style of sling works for you, by all means check out the DSPTCH.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've used Rapid slings on FF and ยต4/3 and I'm using a long DSPTCH strap on the OM-D (in a sling position) ... I haven't had a problem "yet" with sliding the long strap across my shoulder. On paper the the stationary sling with a sliding fastener seems much more effective and efficient methodology for raising and lowering a camera, but in practice (at least in my practice), the difference of action between a Rapid and a DSPTCH is insignificant. I'm sure there will come a time when the difference will/may become problematic, but for the last month or so of using the DSPTCH strap and shooting nearly everyday ... (one camera, two cameras, two cameras ana bag) the difference between the straps is insignificant.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Something similar you may want to check out is the Street Strap.

It is similar in concept to the Artisan & Artist silk strap (okay, maybe a blatant copy) where it is a comfortable, but fairly small amount of strap material, so it doesn't take up much room and you can wrap it around your wrist.

The thing that is nice about the Street Strap is that it is a bit longer than the A&A. I have a long-ish torso and I can still wear it sling/bandolier style, with enough room to bring it up to my eye fairly comfortably.

I have tried a couple other slings, where there is only one connection point, and they may have been sized incorrectly, but I got annoyed with the camera swinging far from my body.

13. incubits

incubits New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    No, no, definitely didn't mean to come off as accusing you of being discouraging.

Just my POV about slings as I've heard this statement before. Everyone has their own preference, which is how it should be!

14. mackie8

mackie8 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    im also looking at DSPTCH strap... it looks nice...

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Incubits, I think you forgot to mention something:

from thread https://www.mu-43.com/f89/camera-sling-decent-price-quality-looks-ok-33618/

and, of course you know the answer to your own question:

From the same thread:

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I used an OP/TECH compact sling for the past week while fly fishing, hiking, etc., with an Oly E-PM1. It was a great option for times where photography is the secondary activity and I normally am reduced to carrying a P&S, e.g. - fly fishing.