1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sling/shoulder strap for EM5 WITHOUT D-rings?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Promit, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Can I get some suggestions for decent sling or shoulders style straps that will fit through the eyelets on the EM5 without having to attach the D-rings? I find that the rings get in the way of my hands. I'm trying to avoid tripod-socket attachment as well, but I'm not absolutely opposed to it.

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I'm not sure you have another choice of the tripod socket besides the D-rings.

Anyhow, the straps also got in the way of my hands, so I've opted for the Blackrapid SnapR 35.

It's a tinier version of the big DSLR slings.

I also removed that pouch.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am using the round version of the Street Strap directly onto the Only eyelets. I do use an o ring on the right side to make it more comfortable to me (borrowed from my Gordy wrist strap).

I like this strap because, like the A&A silk cord, it is non bulky, so you can wrap around the wrist fairly easily. It is a bit longer than the A&A, which I like, because I can wear it bandolier style if I want.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  5. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I actually was experimenting with the supplied Olympus strap (E-M5) and reconfigured it to make it work like a sling (cross body) that connects to only 1 D-ring (non-grip side).

I used 1 of the ladder locks to connect both ends of the strap together, and then with an extra length of strap on the one side, reverse it through the 2nd ladder lock and voila, instant free sling strap. (very hard to describe how it works, but it does)

I'm actually using this over my Cinch Strap because the Olympus strap is so bare and light weight. There is no padding (which I like) and it is minimal. The camera hangs at the small of back when walking around, and I can grab the grip and bring it to the front easily.

The other awesome benefit is ease of getting the strap on and off. Since there is only 1 ladder lock to thread, it takes 15 seconds to get on or off.

If anyone is interested in how I do this, let me know and I can take some pictures of it.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. The straps get in the way, too. I solved this problem for myself years ago. Back then my solution was to thread three strands of light nylon cord through each lug, braid the cord into a little pigtail for 2-3", then attach the ring. The ring then hung below the camera body and neither it nor the strap hardware touched my hands at all as I held the camera.

When I was carrying two bodies (Nikon F3s) on neck straps I just made one set of pigtails much longer, allowing one body to hang below and clear the other.

This is what I am using most recently:

IMG_20111227_125133.

This is not quite what you want because of the ring attached to the lug but it illustrates the concept of a short pigtail to drop the heavier hardware below my hands. In this case the pigtail is stainless steel cable and I did not want to permanently affix it to the lug. Hence the small ring.

7. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    @jon595
    Do you have the possibility to post a few pics to describe your solution? Thanks

8. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Here are few pictures from my phone. Sorry about the quality.

This first picture shows how it's hooked on the one D-Ring.
    2012-09-21_21-25-00.

This picture is just of the strap. Notice how the top part has the extra length of strap that goes through the D-Ring. The bottom part has both D-Rings on it.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps, although it's to accurately show and explain.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Idreamphoto

Sep 1, 2012
    Ho jon595
    Thank you for the pics. Now it is crystal clear to me. This is elegant solution. But it doesn t actually slide on the strap when you grab the camera like other sling strap model, doesn t it?

10. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    No it doesn't slide. Sometimes I'm glad it doesn't, others not so much.

Just a hobbyist.

11. Idreamphoto

Sep 1, 2012
    Allright. I tried your soluyion with attach point slightly different. The camera is well balanced and easy to grab with right hand. But i am not sure this is going to work for me because now the genuine strap is a bit short when i wear it diagonal on my shoulder.

Attached Files:

12. Idreamphoto

Sep 1, 2012
    I was doing some more tests yesterday. I found a variance of jon595 solution that allows to extend the length od the original strap and let more movement to the camera to sling. See the 2 pics below.
    As a result, it is almost a sling strap instead of buying one.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Both alternate ways look good. The length of the OEM strap are a bit limiting to who can use this method.

The main reason I looped the one strap back on itself was to make it easiest to put on and take off the camera. This way, I only have to undo one ladder lock.

14. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    This is awesome guys. I'm going to try it when I get home tonight. How secure does this feel? The last thing I want is my E-M5 slipping off the strap and crashing to the ground (knock on wood)

15. Idreamphoto

Sep 1, 2012
    no pb in my case, each side of the strap has to go through 2 buckles. No way to loose your camera when it is on your shoulder.
    I really like it. I can wear it with camera on my side or in front. Both work.

16. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I think its more secure than a single connector to the tripod socket. I had a blackrapid that had to be checked off and on for looseness.

I've hiked miles wearing my version of the OEM strap to a single d-ring and not had any issues.

Just a hobbyist.

17. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    I also did not like the rattling d-rings on the OMD and found a solution that I like.

OP/TECH USA Mini QD Loop System Connectors

Remove the d-ring and these loop right into the little hole on the OMD posts. They have a quick release to a 3/8 strap loop so you can attach any 3/8 stap and quickly remove. You can leave the quick release loops attached to the camera (don't get in the way too much and all plastic so no rattle or scratch). However, they are fast to remove so I just take them off when not using a stap.

They are only 6$ so may be worth a try.

18. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Guys, silly question, but how do you remove them D-rings?

19. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Mark, remove plastic covering from d-ring itself then it becomes obvious, it's made like keyfob ring.

• Like Like x 1