Sling bag advice?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jgregs, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    I'm currently looking for the right sling bag to take with me while on a trip for several weeks in may, sling bags seem like the best idea for me, but I just don't know what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Has to hold:
    Olympus OM-D with 12-50mm kit lens AND grip on (kinda hard to know what works when you don't know the dimensions)
    Oly 70-300mm (with MMF adapter on)
    and a couple smaller prime lenses the FL-300r flash and preferably just other random things I may need with me

So far I've looked at case logic, lowepro, manfrotto and several others and the caselogic DCB-308 seems like the best choice
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It seems like that bag would be pretty big for what you want to carry?

Did you consider more of a messenger style bag? I just ordered Domke's reporter satchel for an upcoming trip to carry 2 bodies, a few primes and my macbook air 13:

Domke Reporter's Satchel

A few things I like about it... (1) it doesn't look like a camera bag, which I like for travel;
    (2) you can stuff a bit of gear in there, but if you have less stuff, then the bag shrinks down;
    (3) rides close on your back, with less depth than a backpack/sling (nice when you are trying to navigate through a small shop, for example)

I can post some pics of the bag with gear if it would be helpful.
  3. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Thanks for the input, gave me something to think about, I do like messenger style camera bags, it's what I usually use, but I feel like sometimes they get in the way too often on my side, I mean I don't swing my arms like a madman, but just when I walk it tends to be slightly in the way. I just have a cheaper lowepro messenger though, maybe I'll look into a higher end Domke since I have time before my trip.

Yeah I'd appreciate a picture of your stuff, I actually just sold me E-P2 so it should be easy for me to judge the space it takes up..also, does the main compartment have a zipper to shut it?
  4. p@ul

p@ul Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2011
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    We have the Lowepro Slingshot 200 and 300, and they are well built with easy access to your equipment. But for what you've listed, I would suggest something a little smaller like the 100 series. My wife actually carries a Canon 7D + 400/5.6 and a 2nd body with the Slingshot 200, I've carried a 1Dm2 + 300/2.8 or 50-500 with the Slingshot 300.
  6. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    That domke bag looks quite good, I'll look into that and see if any retailers have it and how much it costs.

I looked at the 100 series slingshots and they seemed too small to fit a smaller dslr with grip let alone depth for the lens, but I was tempted to get the 202 but since I'm in no rush and the camera won't be here for a while, I figured I'd do ky research...

And a little free space isn't a big deal to me if I just want to store miscellaneous things
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You can wear it like a messenger bag, with the strap going over one shoulder but the bag on the other side of your body. Then you can just swing it around so it rides on your back while you're walking and shooting and then you can quickly swing it around to the front/side to access it. That's the only way I use these bags - I never got how people can just wear them over one shoulder hanging straight down on that same side.

8. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    The big question is what/how much other stuff you intend to carry. I own two sling bags:

1. Pentax sling that I use to carry a Pentax DS2, flash, 4 lenses, and some accessories. This leaves a small compartment at the top free.

2. Naneu Pro Echo for an E-620 with grip, flash, 4 lenses, 14X TC, and a number of accessories. The top is free and larger than the Pentax.

I checked and I think my Pentax sling will work well for the OM-D and lenses. It is very close to the Lowepro 100 (slightly smaller). If you have both parts of the grip attached it may be just too tall to fit comfortably in the Pentax or Lowepeo 100. One difference between the two bags is the Lowepro has a larger opening when removing the camera so if it just fits, it would be easy to remove.

The Naneu used to hold a K10D (with grip) so it has plenty of room.

BTW, looking at listed dimensions online, and various photos, it looks like the grip/battery compartment will add about 1" to the height. The grip looks like maybe 1/4"? Perhaps someone who has seen them up close can confirm the size.
  9. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    you're right, honestly without dimensions it seems too hard to say, that's why i was originally looking at just sling bags, I feel like with the grip on the OM-D it would just naturally need a bulkier messenger bag by default. Or it would be at least if it fits in a messenger bag, would be nice if it could fit lens down
  10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I've fit a Canon 20D + 70-200/2.8 in the Slingshot 200 easily. Grip size wouldn't really matter due to the size of the opening.
  11. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I have and really love UNDFIND's ONE Bag. You can convert it to and from a laptop bag. Lots of usable pockets, thick stretchy neoprene, and you can change the covers. I can carry a GH2 with the 4/3 Zuiko 14-54mm mkII lens in the center compartment, a speedlight and a couple of primes in another compartment, and a waterbottle in the last compartment. Super convenient!