1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Slimming down - need advise, opinions and suggestions

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by TassieFig, Sep 9, 2018.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have decided to cut down on bulk and weight because I have recently noticed that I don't bring/use my system as much as I would like. Also, for what I shoot, most of the time I don't need top notch quality. Because there are gazillions of potential setups I'm atm loosing sleep so need your help.

Currently using EM5ii with Laowa 7.5/2, Oly 12-40, Oly 45-150 (plastic fantastic!) and occasionally 75-300. Every now and then I'll use the 14/2.8 and 20/1.7. It's a fantastic system and I'm mostly very happy with the quality output. However, when you're out bushwalking for a week or so, traveling or just not on a photos shoot, it's getting to me.

I have already realized that I wont be able to find one single camera to replace it all. And, I don't have the budget to add to this setup. I was actually hoping to have some extra money left when I'm done (I'm buying 2nd hand)

Btw, I'm not into video!

1. I need something weather sealed - I'll most likely get Oly TG-5
    2. I need something good pocketable/small as a main camera - HEEELP!
    3. I need something decent pocketable with telezoom - I'll most likely get Pana TZ/ZS200 but it's too slow to be the main camera so it can only be a complement.
    4. I would love to have something really wide - No idea what. A wide attachment for the TG-5?
    It's no. 2 that I'm really struggle with. I had decided to get a Canon G7Xii (good size, range, speed, good flippy touch screen, exp comp dial!!! good price etc) but just found out that you can't connect a remote shutter and need to use a phone app but it doesn't work with RAW. Big let-down as I use remote shooting a lot and RAW is a must. (Does anybody knows how the TZ200 does here?)

I'm now considering Pana LX100ii which seems like a really nice camera. Love the layout, image quality should be great, viewfinder!!!, touch screen but stupidly, it's fixed :dash2:. It is a bit larger than my ideal but, as the main camera, I might be convinced if everything else is great (except the lack of weather sealing, fixed screen and limited zoom range of course...).

So, what do you think? Will I have any unwelcome surprises with the LX100ii? Any comments on my other choices? Any G7Xii users here to convince me of it's superiority? Any other cameras that I should consider? I'm sure someone will recommend sony RX100xx but so far I just don't like them. Feel free to comment and suggest!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    As far as I know there are no good weather sealed compacts... It's the TG5 and than nothing. Personally I wouldn't be happy with a 2/3" sensor unless it's flying (mavic air...) and even then,...

So you will have to prioritise. If you are willing to budge on size, than the solution is easy: Get one of the olympus superzoom lenses (14-140, 12-100). Both are weather sealed and provide ample IQ. For ultra wide, you'll have to do Panos, but that will be no different on the compacts. The fact that you want both wide and tele just screams sticking to mu43. Carrying multiple cameras is not better than multiple lenses...

If you skip weather sealing you could of course combine a LZ100 with a LX10/15, but that seems silly to me.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I have a TG-4, bought just before the TG-5 came out and I am happy with it for the beach and pool, which is what I bought it for. You could probably find one used for a good price. I have not seen a comparison between the two, so I’m not sure how much better, if any the TG-5 is.

Anyway, I too was going to recommend a superzoom. I have the P14-140 and I’ve been very happy with it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Nikon AW1 with the lenses you need?

• Like Like x 2
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What Nikon 1 lenses are WR?

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    There's a 10mm and 11-27.5. Not sure if they made a longer zoom.

7. Percy

Percy Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2016
    Hereford, England
    I had an LX100 but sold it to help financing buying in to the Oly system. But I do half regret selling it. I found it was a super little camera. A little too large for your pocket so I carried it around in a belt pouch (Crumpler Light Delight 200) which was a nice snug fit with room for a spare battery. A perfect travel camera for the times you want to travel light with a zoom range that suited most of my requirements. I'd heartily recommend it for those times when you're out and about not specifically on a photo trip but want a camera with you anyway.
    I'm tempted by the LX100ii but the thing that's holding me back is the lack of a flippy touch screen which would be nice for street photography.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    This series 1 has been discontinued!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pigiron

pigiron Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 27, 2016
    Oregon
    I have a TG-5 which takes great pictures. Same internal zoom as the TG-4 but they went down to 12 megapixels. OTOH it has the same TruePic™ VIII processor as the EM1-II which produces really nice jpegs without having to process the raw files.

To satisfy almost all your requirements the weatherproof OM-D E-M5 MARK II is currently on sale at the Olympus site with a weatherproof 14-150 kit lens for $999.99.

OM-D E-M5 Mark II - Digital Camera | Olympus

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    they made a 10-100 but I don’t think it’s WR. The OP could just buy a 12-100 for his EM5 II as suggested about but that’s not a small combo.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Avoid carbs :p 

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Work out at the gym.

• Sad Sad x 1
  13. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The cameras still work and now are ultra cheap!

The 10mm (27mm FF EQ) AW is $144 and the 11-27.5 (30-74mm FF EQ) AW just $105 at KEH. AW1 body just $268.

$500 for a small, weatherproof, 2 lens kit. So tempting...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks for your thoughts. Still very much undecided. The idea wast to replace the em5 to a smaller system so buying a new big lens wasn't what I had in mind. Plus, the 14-150 is too slow, the 12-100 is way to big and I wouldn't be able to fund it by just selling the 12-40 + 40-150. The Nikon 1 was not on my radar but I might need to check it out.
    The LX100ii is still very much in the run. I do like the layout and it shouldn't be much less capable than EM5.

Another option is to sell a few lenses (eg 75-300, 14 & 20) to fund the G7Xii and keep the rest just to try it out and see if the lack of certain features drives me nuts or not. That way, I can keep my fav lenses and still have a pocket cam too. I might even consider selling my EM5 mk2 and get a mk1 instead. I never warmed to the mk2 as I did with mk1. If I fall in love with it I can sell the m43 and get the other cams, if I wont, I'll still have a good pocket rocket. Hm...doesn't that sound reasonable? Gawd, I'm too indecisive :shakehead:

Anyone have any experience with the TZ/ZS200? I'd love to hear about it.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Another possibility is a used Sony rx10. It’s “moisture dust resistant”. Not super Light but a self-contained packing with a great lens. Bigger than the ZS200 but cheaper used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have looked at the RX10 series but they are just too big. I need something small, even if I need more than one to replace the m43.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I understand. I’d really like the RX100 VI, but the price is hard to swallow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. pigiron

pigiron Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 27, 2016
    Oregon
  20. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yes, as I said above, this is pretty much settled if I do get rid of my m43 system.
    It's what I do atm when I want to go small but I'm not a happy prime lens shooter. I need zoom. I have contemplated one of the small pancake zooms but I want a faster & longer zoom hence why going 1" or LX100ii makes more sense to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.