1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Slim or Normal Polarizer for 12-35 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RoadTraveler, Nov 25, 2012.

1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Ready to order a GX-1 and a 12-35 lens, including a polarizer. Can I buy a regular circular [B+W] polarizer that will accept a lens cap, or must I buy the slim version for the 12-35 lens?

I plan to order a 'clear' B+W filter [not slim], just wondering if the polarizer will be too thick because of the two rings?

Thanks!

James

P.S. I did search and read a few threads, but didn't find anything addressing this specific question of slim or regular polarizer filter.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I always buy slim filters because they're not that much more but is usable on more lenses.

However a polarizer is unlikely to be used on an ultra-wide angle lens.

The fact that the regular sized filter accept a lens cap is irrelevant. You're unlikely to leave the polarizer on all the time. See my next point about using lens caps and UV filters.

If you're stacking filters, an UV + a polarizer, you really should consider having slim models for the both of them. I would just take off the UV and put on the polarizer when I need it. Most people that I talk to that do use an UV would forego using lens caps. Their UV is their lens cap. That's actually a selling point for UV filters that I hear about sometimes.

Make sure you get multi-coated UV. Since you plan on leaving it on all the time.

3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Indeed, the function of a clear or UV filter is to protect the lens.However whether a filter is used or not, the lens cap is essential. It protects either from dirt accumulation and scratches. Having a dirty and scratched filter will compromise your image.

4. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Understood. I've used filters before, just not a polarizer [despite years of shooting] and what I was trying to ask is if the 12-35 will have an issue at the wide/12mm end with a 'regular' filter. I think not, but want to confirm if possible from users of this lens.

Yes, I always buy top quality and coated filters.

I will not be stacking the UV or clear and a polarizer. One or the other.

While I do like the protection I get from a filter on the front of a lens and don't use a lens cap while walking around actively shooting, I do still use a lens cap, at least when the camera goes back into my bag.

5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    FYI Hoya Pro 1 and Pansonic polarizers also have a slim profile, while no not as slim as a B+W, they will accept a standard lens cap.

6. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012

I agree.

I live in a particulate and often windy environment, so keeping grit off and out of my gear can be a challenge. I've already had a 'protection' filter save my 24-70 f/2.8 while slung over my back when I fell on a rocky hillside a few years ago. I've also damaged the front of a lens I dropped into my lap that didn't have a filter on it.

Like you, I still advocate using a lens cap. In fact, I've had many standard clip-on style caps come off inside my camera bag, I also ride motorcycles [vibration] and do other outdoor activities where a more secure cap can be desirable.

When I was shooting Leica M I purchased some simple metal screw-in lens caps which are slower to take off and put on, but much more secure. I'm going to buy one from B&H for the Panasonic 12-35, hence, another reason asking about a normal vs. slim polarizer @12 mm. If I want to keep a screw-on cap on the filter when not in use, I'll need the the regular version with threads on the front.

Thanks all,

James

7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    That's helpful, I'll consider them.

8. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
  9. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
  10. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    As soon as they're available to purchase, I'm all over one.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    To answer the question. No it won't. I use a regular b&W thickness filter on my 12-35. No problems at the wide end except the normal stuff that comes with polarising the sky with a wide lens. But that's not all a polariser is used for. Mine gets used as a 2 stop ND filter as much as a polariser, especially on the OMD which is limited in base ISO and maximum shutter speed.

Gordon

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Note that you don't need a circular polarizer with our cameras. Linear are cheaper and tend to be a bit more "polarizing" IMHO.

Being that the hood doesn't vignette, I can't see slim vs normal being a problem.

13. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012

Thank you very much for supplying the answer to my exact question. Helpful!

James

14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, unless the filter ended up on an autofocus SLR at some point (unlikely), right?

Unfortunately there seems to be few multi-coated linear polarizing filters in-stock, possibly because few are sold.

I had been thinking the same thing, but it was very nice to hear from a user :)

15. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  16. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I use a slim B+W polarizer that comes with it´s own pressure cap: very nice. :smile:

17. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Very nice to know, thanks!

18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I like heliopan circ pols better than B+W ? just personal after having both for my FF gear I have two slims one regular in Heliopan and one regular B+W

that said direct answer to your question (ditto Flash) you will be fine with a regular B+W circ pol as I have one on my 12-35 and also on my 75 1.8 and works just fine on both :)
    actually the regular is a touch nicer than a slim as they can stick out a touch more giving your finger a bit more edge to get in and rotate it on the 12-35 with the hood on
    on my 75 I picked up a hood that screwed on so I could just rotate the hood since the other is to tiny to reach into !!!

19. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Definitely use a slim polarizer. The 12-35 is reported to have some minor vignetting problems which would only be exacerbated by s stabdard thickness filter.

20. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad

I keep one one on all the time
    cut down on glare from other things windows and bushes especailly large leaf bushes can look nicer grass etc. wet beaches and pools even outfits the couple are wearing sometimes :)
    ditto the ND factor also on top of it

so basically all my day time shooting I prefer them on for the reason of controlling reflective light off objects around me !