1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Slim down aperture library?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Gusnyc, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Hi,

My aperture library grew a lot. Is there any way to slimmed it down, without erasing content? I am talking about recreating previews with less quality or smaller size, deleting old thumbnails (I read that even if you delete a picture from the library, Aperture won't delete the thumbnail).

Does anybody knows any tricks about how to do that?

Thank you very much for your answers!

Gus

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    How big is big?

The Masters take up the most space. I make old files (more than 6 mos - YMMV) Referenced (File/Relocate Masters).

Previews can be downsized. (Preferences/Previews) I have mine at 1280x1280. If you change this, I believe it is prospective. If you want it to apply to all existing, then go to Library/Photos in Ap. Highlight all. Right click and select Update Preview.

Not sure about thumbnails - I'll let someone else address those.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I start a new Aperture library each year and export my old libraries to a permanently attached hard drive. Seems to work ok for me

• Like Like x 1
  4. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    I keep several aperture libraries to keep them to smaller sizes. Some projects go into their own libraries, others are group into similar themes.
    It easy to switch libraries at any time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Thanks for your answers. My library is 88gb. The problem is that my laptop is has an SSD of 256gb. It takes a lot of space. I don't want to have the library in. An external drive, since makes aperture very slow. I am recreating the previews and I deleted the thumbnails folder and re-creating them. I read that thumbnails are not deleted when you eliminate a picture from an event.

Thanks again

6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Only editing Referenced pictures that have been moved to the external hard will be slow. For all other purposes (viewing, keywords, etc), Aperture uses the preview, which continues to reside in its internal database.

7. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Wow! I deleted the thumbnails folder and I made aperture to generate them again. I saved 11 Gb after the process! It seems it is true that aperture doesn't update the thumbnails of deleted pictures.

8. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    That's is good to know. I think I'll give it try. I can always use more disc space.
    Thanks

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not sure how Aperture works, but in LR, when you "zoom" into a photo, it generates a 1:1 preview. That's likely a 4MB file (off, say, a 12-20MB RAW). That's not insignificant. In LR, though, older 1:1 previews are auto-deleted. Not sure if that's the case in Aperture, but I would guess rebuilding previews has to save space, as the 11GB shows.