1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Slide Duplicator as Macro Lens ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RaZZ3R, Jul 4, 2013.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Can a slide duplicator be use as a macro lens (not for photographing slides or negatives) ? And would be more effective than macro tubes or bellow with a nifty fifty (meaning true 1:1 or 1:2 magnification) ?

I do understand and know that it has only f 16 aperture but that's what I try to use also with nifty fifty to get enough DoF and I have a plan for a DIY light system like the one Olympus has for Micro Four Thirds (only that will use AA or AAA batteries, will be mounted only on hot shue, will have bigger LED's and will most definitely look ugly).

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    My first macro device was a the magnifying lens taken from Opteka slide duplicator.
    It was quit hard to shot with since the focusing distance is small but it is doable.
    The image is quite good but a dedicated macro lens or an extension is doing a better work with better focusing distance. Currently I use a legacy focusing extension (Teleplus 2X MC7 Macro) and the ease of use and results are better. You can view some of my recent macro at the link at my signature.
    The slide duplicator is Opteka High Definition II Slide Copier / Duplicator for Digital Cameras

3. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Your gallery is absolutely stunningly beautiful ... and I see a lot of kinds of photography that I love doing (landscape, macro, architecture, graffiti) but my so far from your level of quality that its not even funny.

Yes ... I do have big issues with focusing with macro tubes and a lot of loss of light (and the ISO performance of Micro Four Thirds doesn't make it any easier on that front), at which one point I was trying to shoot some ants (using a 12+20+36mm macro tubes and a nifty fifty) with the sun in front of me (it was about 2 hours before sunset) and with aperture f 11 I couldn't get enough DoF and shutter speed of 1/500s I couldn't get sharp subjects (damn fast buggers) and at ISO 1600 I couldn't get very clean images to print larger than A4.

I'm not hoping to get any better IQ (unless I improve my techniques first and maybe my "soon to be" camera with something more new like Olympus OM-D E-M5 or E-P5) or to get any easier (but Focus Peaking would be almost life changer) ... but I would like to try some new option to get some genuine 1:1 (or even more if possible) without a +500$ lens ... something like reverse lens, bellows or the cheap slide duplicators.

And I'm even planning on a DIY light system like Olympus own Macro Arm Light but with bigger LED's, with the ability to add small light diffusers, with AA batteries and mountable on any hot shoe.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Thanks for the compliment, practice and knowledge makes the difference and participating in this forum helps in the knowledge aspect. The last set of macros was done using a remote flash, it makes light control much simpler. Get a cheap manual flash such as Yongnuo YN560 or similar and a radio trigger, it will make your setup lite and simple to operate with cost of less then 80$.

yongnuo flash 560 ii | eBay

Fotga 4Channel Flash Radio Remote Trigger PT 04 TM Set | eBay

Regarding macro lens, manual old 50mm slow macro lens or a focusing macro converter plus a 50mm lens is doing the trick with a fraction of the price of the 60mm. In macro auto focus is almost useless therefor legacy lens do the trick as good as dedicated :43: lens.

This product is similar to the one i have used. focusing macro | eBay

This is the same http://www.ebay.com/itm/P81-Macro-T..._Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item3a81277c54

You can get any mount you want and get a matching 50mm and :m43: mount converter.