Slanted mirror inside E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tortau, Dec 18, 2014.

1. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    This is a weird question but I recently bought the E-M10 and when I unscrewed the cap to put on the lens, I noticed immediately that the mirror looked slanted.

Now I'm a newbie to mirrorless camera matters but I've never seen something like that before (I have a Panasonic GM1 and this is not the case). So the question is, is this normal? Or should I request for an exchange asap?

[​IMG]

I increased the exposure to make the mirror visible (and both cameras were propped on the same table to make sure that everything was leveled).

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Was it powered on? The sensor moves due to the stabilization, if it doesn't have power it can move out of the parked position as the magnets are not energized to hold it in place.

If it's on and it's doing weird things like that there may be something wrong with the stabilization, I'd send an email off to Olympus repairs and see what they say (I don't know about Canada however in Aus the repair center has been good when I've contacted them via email about answering questions, ymmv).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Your camera is fine. I checked my E-M10 and the sensor is just slacked because the IBIS mechanism hasn't been engaged. Turn on the camera and it will align straight into place.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    You are absolutely right! I switched it on and it snapped to place. Thanks!

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My wife stopped me from making some kind of "slanted mirror on a mirrorless camera???" snarky comment yesterday. She's a better person than I. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    Haha, never realized I made that comment.
    Coming from using dslrs, this whole mirrorless thing is still a mystery to me. But I do adore its portability and weight!

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    We ALL wanted to ... but resisted the impulse.

The Snark is strong in this one. :|

• Like Like x 1
  8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Consider biting your tongue on the "mirror thing" as being a Christmas present! lol

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've always been a Scrooge, what's new?!

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    What a civil group! Gives me hope in mankind.

• Like Like x 1