1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Skyblue Extension Tubes Mini-Review

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Liamness, May 1, 2013.

1. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    So I got these tubes the other day, and I said I would test them, particularly with the 45mm f/1.8 to see how it performs as a macro lens. So I went into my garden and said, hey, looks there's a flower, that'll do. I took each photo at the closest focus distance possible, to give you an idea of the increased magnification possible. Click for full-size JPEGs.

The 45mm on its own:

p0SVAQSl.jpg

With the 10mm tube:

PW1u6Evl.jpg

With the 10mm and 16mm, 26mm extension in total:

afy87ZWl.jpg

Here's a pic taken with the 10mm + 20mm f/1.8 of my finger:

3SWpkQTl.jpg

And here's a pic of the tubes, I've decided to store them in my bag between my spare body and lens caps, to avoid dust getting in. They are made entirely of plastic. They wobble a bit.

WOb5RUvl.jpg

I can confirm that AF works just fine with the tubes, however it's next to useless because the permissible focus range is not that large. Best to just set it to the minimum, and focus by moving the camera back and forth. These shots clearly weren't taken under any sort of test conditions, so shouldn't be taken as any sort of indication of the quality possible. If the lens you're using has sharpness to spare, it will be fine.

Attached Files:

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just received a set of these today. They're labeled MEIKE MK-P-AF3B with silver color ink, but otherwise look identical to yours. They work as advertised, and I agree that setting the lens to min focus distance and then moving the camera is the best way to go with these. The build quality is a bit better than I expected for $25.

Fothergilla Major - Mount Airy

[​IMG]
    E-PL2 with Zuiko Digital 70-300 mm at 70mm

[​IMG]
    E-PL2 with Zuiko Digital 70-300 mm at 300mm + 10 mm + 16 mm AF Extension Tubes.

3. xmsnx

xmsnx Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Europe
    Any chance you could post where you bought them from? I've seen them on ebay/amazon but at twice the price :eek:

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    What is the quality like on these extension tubes?
    What are the bodies made out of, plastic, metal, both?
    Is everything a tight fit?
    I am deciding either these or the slightly more expensive Fotga versions.

5. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    As soon as they arrive, I will post some information on them.

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    They are entirely low gloss black plastic except for the gold plated contacts, the bayonet mount springs, and the locking pins. The fit is firm and tight with no light leaks. The thickness dimensions are quite accurate. The signals pass through to the lens with no trouble even when you have both pieces stacked.

Be careful when you first start using it. Depending on the lens / extension tube combination you select the focal plane may be very close to the front element.