Sky Arts Masters of Photography.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Just started watching this series on TV as the arts chanel is now free on channel 11 in the U.K. pretty interesting on many levels, portfolios, equipment choice, judges comments. Well worth a watch. I will see if the previous episodes are available.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Harsh! Very. I was a teacher for 47 years and hope I was a little more constructive with my comments. Photography and the arts are very subjective. I know what I like when I see it. But appreciate other people’s views. Rome is a city of light- too dark. Why have you changed the shot to B&W, too simple. Your photo is better than your explanation, shut up. Interesting to see they all had Leicas, I have chosen an automatic SLR said one lady. SL2 with a huge lens.

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
Sorry Mike, I went to edit my post where I asked if the judges seemed harsh and deleted it! :doh: Like you, I was not impressed by some of the comments, the one that really stood out for me was don’t make photos for us, the judges. When they did their own thing, they were castigated for that too.

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
I have watched a couple of series where budding artists compete, being given different tasks to complete each week, and submit them for judgement and critique. The judges gave constructive criticism and encouragement, I had hoped for the same in this series featuring photography. It seems to cater to the reality tv crowd and the judges appear to have been told to act accordingly, but I’ll give it another go, next Tuesday. Apparently Leica supplied the equipment originally and later programs feature the Canon R.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well, I hope to pick up some tips and insights as well as lust after Leica’s.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I watched the first two series well gave up halfway through s2, I found the critiques to be poor, I am all for brutal assessments of work but at the same time there should be some form of constructive comments and suggestions to go along with them.

Delb0y

Mu-43 Regular
Missed the Rome episode, but just watched the Berlin one. Enjoyed it. I thought there were some really good photos and (Bruce Gilden aside) the comments weren't too harsh, and I did agree with the final judgement. I would have liked to have seen how the three judges would have handled the assignment. I think that would have been very interesting. I wonder how much guidance the contestants had in where to go, how to get into the various parties and events they ended up at, and so on. It must be very difficult to be dropped in the middle of a city that you don't know, with gear you're unfamiliar with, and told to capture a story off that city's nightlife. You could spend a year on such a project. No idea why the studio setting is in some old factory with all sorts of artefacts dotted around - I'd have thought that was just the sort of cliche the judges would have rallied against!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I thought BG was horrible. “I take photos that represent myself”. Limits what you can take. I watched Rankin 2020 a few days ago. Leica again. His constant “I don’t shoot documentary photos “ wore a bit thin. You could see how he used aperture to achieve his final shot.

Delb0y

Mu-43 Regular
I thought the photographers did very well this week. I wouldn't have had a clue what to do faced with all that studio gear and all those models. Although, clearly the contestants had advance notice of the task as they were well prepared with sketches and ideas. Again, I thought the mentor was a bit harsh. Elina Brotherus, like Bruce Gilden last week, gave the impression (in the minute or so footage that we saw) that it was her way or the highway. I'm sure the reality was very different, and we only see the provocative good-for-TV segments. I like Rupert and was pleased to see his work well received, but I was puzzled - the idea of a body/face reflected in a shattered mirror (or in this case, a stepped / angled mirror) to reflect inner turmoil would appear to me to be a huge cliche. When he set out to take the photo I thought "Uh-huh. He's going to get slaughtered" and yet the judges loved the idea. But I really enjoyed the show again. Might try and find if previous series are available anywhere.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There landscape and portrait artist shows are enjoyable. It would be a gas to be a contestant on this show just for the locations, props, equipment they provide. They did one in Sicily and one of the contestants shoots a wagon painter whom I also shot ,she actually did a great job compared to my attempt.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom