Skiddaw Extreme Sports

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by OpenCS, Apr 6, 2013.

1. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    From Skiddaw in the English Lake District today, looking toward the Grasmoor group. Some people just have to go one better than hillwalkers. If it's not fell runners, it's these lot :)

8625539556_c781ffb72e_b.

EPM1 with the kit 40-150.

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    That's a truly stunning photo!

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I second that - Amazing!!!!

4. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Thanks :) I have no idea why I had the long lens on, I haven't used it for months. Serendipity :)

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I like this image. Are you open to C/C?

6. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Absolutely, but I'll tell you in advance that the washed red/orange/yellow/green and overpushed blacks are deliberate, and something of a signature of mine :)

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So it sounds like you wouldn't like my effects (which includes increased saturation and contrast), it's just my preference. I also have a distaste for a lot of haze on mountains, contrast usually helps that for me.

8625539556_c781ffb72e_b2a_zpscaa96c3b.

8. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    You're right.. although I do like that look as well, I struggle to do increased saturation properly (more on that later), and I also find that my shots look just like everyone else's when I process them that way. A lot of people I know despise the way I process my shots, but at least everybody knows they're mine..

Muted saturation and overdone blacks work for me for two reasons: first, I'm hopelessly colour blind and unsaturated images look more natural to me - the out of camera images often look so garish in Lightroom that I'm convinced they must be wrong, and although they're probably not there's often nobody around to ask. A slight dialing back of saturation is always safer. Second, I'm always wearing sunglasses outside, so pushing the darkness up makes the scene even closer to how I remember it.

It was a hazy day, as it so often is over there, so the haze doesn't concern me unduly, and trying to 'fix' it doesn't even register as an option for me. It's an excuse to keep climbing, waiting for that one absolutely perfect day :)

Thanks for the feedback :)