Skateboarding in the streets of Auckland, New Zealand

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by TonyZhang, Jul 29, 2014.

1. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    • Like Like x 3
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pretty cool, but seems a bit repetitive after a while, as there's no clear story being told. Might have been better to keep it down to about a minute of the best footage, or to do multiple vids each with their own story/style/theme/subject?

3. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the input. I should have explained, there is meant to be no story. It is merely a compilation of some of the more decent skate footage me and my friends have filmed on the streets, made into an edit. The montage implies that the video includes many different people and locations. I do understand how many would think it is repetitive. But most of the tricks are all different, with few repeats, despite many of them looking similar to people who don't skate. Skaters generally pay more attention to the specific tricks, technicalities and style, and they are the primary demographic this type of video is targeted at. Nevertheless, I really appreciate your feedback and will take your advice into account when making a video of a different nature.

4. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Awesome! Camera, lens, wide adapter, editing program, camera settings? Many people can benefit from this info.

Old Fart

5. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thank you! This video was filmed on two different cameras. The panasonic g6 and the Canon t4i, some of the canon footage was filmed in 720 60p hence the softer image, moire and aliasing. I used an array of lenses and equipment which I have purchased and sold. The wide angle shots are all filmed with fisheye lenses(Samyang 8mm on the canon, and the Samyang 7.5mm on the panasonic) with me holding the camera with a handle low to the ground, following the subject whilst on my skateboard. Other lenses used are the Canon 17-55mm f2.8, Panasonic 25mm, 14-140mm ii. Audio was captured with an opteka vm-100(which i hated), a sony ms908c(which I found excellent for skateboarding audio), and also the on camera microphone at times. I edit with Adobe Premiere pro and After effects cs6. As far as camera settings go, I used a range of picture styles I experimented with, on the Canon, I used either 'neutral flat' or the custom flaat 10 picture style, on the panasonic, I minimized the contrast, noise reduction(but left it at default when shooting in low light) and sharpness, but experimented with the saturation, which I now leave at 0. I shoot 1080 60p on the panasonic and 1080 30p on the canon, unless I needed a slow motion clip, then I would shoot 720 60p. When indoors, I would shoot with a shutter speed of 1/100 to prevent flicker, but normally, I shoot with a shutter speed 4 times the frame rate as a shutter speed twice the frame rate results in too much blur when filming fast action sports like skating, shutter speeds 4x the frame rate allow for a much cleaner image whilst still retaining some motion blur to blend the frames. Everything was scaled down to 720p for web. I hope this helps somebody at some point haha.

6. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    For a guy your age, you have applied a lot of savy! Grasshopper, you shall go far.

Old Fart

7. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thank you!! Much appreciated