Size of OMD with Grip compared to G2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CCRoo, Aug 24, 2012.

1. CCRoo

CCRoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Is the size of the OMD with the Olympus grip option similar to the size of my Panasonic G2? As I recall the G2 is a slightly larger M43 camera... Thanks!

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Old post, but the link does NOT show dimensions of the OMD with grip. If anyone has that information, please post here. I've been searching all over the web and come up blank.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OK I photochopped a pic. The green line is the mount flange for the lens. As you can see the E-M5 grip sticks out a bit further but the G2 is thicker overall.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    While the size of the E-M5 with the grip is not too dissimilar to the G2, the E-M5 has the advantage of a modular design. For small lenses, the grip isn't needed, so for a more compact package, it can be removed. I have this with my Asashi grip on the GF1, and it is the one thing that I really miss with my GX1. The grip that the GX1 comes with is obviously much better than the GF1's, but it's nowhere near as nice with big lenses as the Asashi. Modularity just makes so much sense for :43: and its compact design philosophy.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston