1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Size Difference: unexpectedly not much

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DennisH, May 8, 2016.

1. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    E-PL7 and the E-M10 II

ImageUploadedByMu-431462682866.756725.

ImageUploadedByMu-431462682881.381345.

Now that I have these two cameras I thought one was going to be my smaller travel camera. However now I see that the size is not much difference. The main body squared is about the same. The differences are just the view finder really. I can't really see a reason to choose one over size now, just the features.

Something to keep in mind for potential buyers of either one that think size is going to make a difference is that I don't think does with these two. Just my thoughts.

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Agreed. The EM10 has always been kind of small, hence my decision to use a grip with it. Go for a GM1 if you want a truly tiny second body ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I sometimes feel that the size difference between my GM5 and E-M1 aren't even enough to overcome the huge difference in capability and usability between them. The GM5 only feels meaningfully smaller with the lenses suited to it - 12-32, PL15, etc. It's really about system size including lenses IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

exactly! I keep my 14mm and 20mm because with the GF they make the most of that form factor. When using an SLR-alike body my 14-45 is a more sensible and versatile camera.

@DennisH@DennisH , I also came to the same conclusion back when I owned a G1 ... when the Olympus finally got the EP-1 out and I held one I was instantly cured of wanting one. It was heavier, had no grip, had no viewfinder (and when people put on accessory finders it was actually bigger and more cumbersome than my G1 and no articulating screen.

I suspect that people are often caught out with just examining these things on the net and then when they hold one they go "...oh"

5. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Timely post, as I have been considering adding an E-M10 II to my E-PL7. Over the past couple of months I have been finding myself struggling to see the LCD in bright sunlight, whereas I didn't have the problem as much before, and it has got me thinking about (gasp!) buying a camera with a viewfinder. It's interesting to see that the only size difference between the two cameras is the viewfinder hump. One thing making me hesitate, however, is that Olympus moved the power button on the E-M10 II over to the left side, and as I usually walk around holding the camera in my right hand I wouldn't be able to turn it on as I raise it up to use it (I guess I'd just leave it on and let it go into sleep mode instead, and wake it up with a half-press on the shutter button).

One thing is that I wear glasses, so I've never been completely comfortable with a viewfinder. Also, I now need reading glasses, but preferring to spend my money on cameras and lenses I haven't bothered to get reading glasses, and instead I just pull my small wire-frame glasses down my nose and look over the top of them when I need to see something up close. For those who do the same, would I be able to a) use the E-M10 II viewfinder in bright sunlight with glasses, without light leaking in the sides of the viewfinder and washing out the image, and b) pull my glasses down my nose a bit and use the viewfinder with my naked eye (assuming the diopter correction goes to -4)?

6. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I have the E-PL7 and the E-M10. I find that while the body sizes are basically the same, the lack of the viewfinder hump makes a difference for slim cases and overall experience with the camera. I much prefer the rangefinder design, but don't want to pay the huge premium for the PEN-F corner EVF.

7. davidngena

davidngena New to Mu-43

May 1, 2016
    I have no problem with light leaking in while using glasses, it works great. I never bother to try without glasses, because I don't want to have to continually readjust the diopter, depending on whether or not I want to use my glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    It's true that the E-PL7 isn't a lot smaller than the E-M10 in terms of numbers, but in practice, it's much easier to carry in a pocket with a small prime attached (lmy favourite being the Olympus 17mm f/1.8). The E-M10's EVF hump makes it considerably more difficult to deploy the camera quickly (and put it away again), so while I prefer the OM-D for general photography, the E-PL7 holds its own when it comes to walk-around and street photography. It works quickly and smoothly, just like its bigger sibling, but one-handed operation is easier (especially switch-on). Screen visibility can be an issue, but in situations when I tend to frame a bit more loosely anyway (like on the street), it's not a big problem - really, it's only in bright sunlight that it can become a real nuisance. I also tend to use touch AF quite a lot - the E-PL7's version is very well implemented.

Furthermore, the great grip on the E-PL7 means that it'll also work with with bigger lenses, which means that I can carry the E-PL7 with 17mm in one pocket, ready for action, and another lens in the other - the Olympus 45mm, Sigma 60mm, and Olympus 14-150mm II are all lenses I have used for that purpose with good success.

All in all, the E-PL7, while not the smallest and lightest camera, is quite a bit more versatile than its price and cute-ish appearance betray ...

M.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I bought the pm2 first thinking it would be my purse - go everywhere cam. Then I bought the e-m5 and found I can fit it with 3 lenses in my purse. The pm2 is languishing at home at the moment. I was really surprised by how small the e-m5 is.

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I did that too (but no purse here:)~) I just preferred the experience of the EM5 w/dials and EVF, more buttons etc. Sold the EPM2 after a few months of not enough use.

Now I have an EM1 and the EM5 is my small camera. Love both.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Yes, the OM-D cameras are far from big - but purses aren't for everyone ... I often carry a messenger bag when out and about, and the camera insert takes up to three cameras with lenses attached - heck, I can even carry a considerable amount of MF (medium format) film gear. That's great. But sometimes, nothing beats travelling light.

M.

12. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Interesting comment. When I got my E-PL7 I was pleasantly surprised by how good the grip is, as it doesn't look like much in the product photos (and I was coming from an E-PL5 with the optional MCG-2 grip, which is the best grip ever). I can carry my E-PL7 + 12-40 Pro zoom one-handed without problems or discomfort (and I like that I can turn the camera on as I raise it). How does the grip on the E-M10 II compare, especially with a larger and heavier lens like the 12-40 Pro zoom?

13. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I dont have the 12-40 but I do have the 14-150mm and switching between the two it feels the most secure on the M10 II. Two advantages over the PL7, for me the PL7 feels like I lock in one finger in the front but with the M10 II its a deeper grip and i can get a 2 finger grip on it. The second is the thumb grip on the M10 II is larger with a more angled curve to prevent the thumb from sliding off. So with these two things my hand feels like it has a more locked in grip. I feel they both could use some rubber grip tape still but it is still about 25% better in my opinion and I would say the thumb grip is what makes most of the secure feeling for me, I do also have the Olympus L Grip for the M10 II and its changes it completely to like a full size DSLR grip for me.

DH

• Informative Informative x 1