size comparison, X Pro1 and E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Apr 17, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    just got my X Pro1 and am comparing it to the E-PL1. It's a brute.... but feels nice in the hand.... with just a few pics of random stuff, the IQ of the XP1 is just amazing....
    • Like Like x 2
  2. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Post lots of photos!

Nice looking brute there!
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Doesn't look too much larger than the EPL1. The XP1 is the same size as the M9, but much much lighter.
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The first time I picked up the X-Pro 1, it looked and felt HUGE to me. The second time, it didn't. It hasn't since. I was tryin to get a bunch of stuff to fit in a new bag recently, though, and the X-Pro 1 is the big piece that makes the whole process more difficult...

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    it must be the perspective....the Fuji barely looks bigger than the Wee Oly.
  6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I'd like to see a landscape OOC jpeg of your Fuji X pro1 pitted against one taken by your E-PL1. I'd want to compare not just the image detail rendered, but the colors as well.

Also, could you post a 1080 landscape video from your Fuji X pro1 to YouTube? I havn't been able to find any X pro1 video samples on YouTube so I don't know how it compares to E-M5 video in terms of detail rendered and pleasing, accurate colors. Thanks.
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Congrats on your new camera!

When I was in Japan I got to handle the X Pro 1. It was, like Ray said, BIG. Not huge like a 5D of course, but definitely not small either. I wonder if they could have squeezed a FF sensor in there but still manage to make small lenses...

Looking forward to some of those snazzy XP1 pics!
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    How's the AF? Is it faster than the E-PL1? I ask because fuji AF seems dismal, that and both x100 and x10 seem to have had major issues upon release.I hope your experience is better.
  9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Leica did, so it's definately doable. The problem is that the sensor would need different micro lenses for the wides, the upcoming zooms would be humongous and it would cost potentially 2-300% more than it does now.

The only real trade off I can see is that for a given field of view you gain a stop to a stop and a half of DOF. And you can get that back with software.

10. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    AF is not as fast as the E-PL1 nor any DSLR for that matter... however, if it does lock on, it produces sharp images like crazy.... here's one SOOC with all the settings at default, as it was straight from the box after a battery charge.... pretty impressive so far.... still figuring it out and reading about some tips that fellow XP1 users have been sharing....