1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Size comparison, GX85, M10-2, GM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DennisH, Jun 13, 2016.

1. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Just got a GX85 to mess around with and thought I would take a few size comparison shots for people that might be wondering about it. The GX85 does feel hefty in the hand I can compare weight and size to the Sony 6000 and the X100T both of which I had for a short time. The photos are just of the cameras I have now.

ImageUploadedByMu-431465791287.317508.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431465791307.118550.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431465791325.210120.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431465791335.369871.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431465791346.104103.

Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    actual photos are always helpful, but if anyone hasn't seen this site, it's really great: Compact Camera Meter

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks Dennis, the more I see of this camera the more I like it... Pretty sure it's going to replace my E-M1 when it dies of natural causes...

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yeah, the GM1 can fit in pockets and bags that the GX85 can't.

5. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    You all ever hear that some just don't enjoy using Sony A6000 like it has no soul or gives you the feeling of just business , not fun or enjoyment. I think the GX85 is giving off that feeling. At Least for me anyways. Just thought I'd mention it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Gives off the soulless feeling?

7. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Lol yeah sort of. Not the same feeling as a X100's , the OMD line , the PEN line, the Fuji's.

Maybe more of a tool for someone who enjoys the end result of the image more than actually using the camera.

Like holding a wind up music box versus holding a Music CD, lol I don't know

Dennis

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  8. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I should return it and get the PEN F and see what type of energy I get from that one.

9. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    No one holds a new camera and just says "oh this is the one" or "nah I don't like how it feels" ? I'm the only one?

10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Depends on ergonomics. The GX7 did that for me. I held the GX80 in a shop recently (my GF wants to buy one), but it didn't do it for me. It is still for ergonomical reasons, not any kind of vibe.

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    No, I get what you're saying. But the GX85 does that for me a lot more than the OMDs do. Panasonic models in general feel better and give off a more premium, workhorse camera feel than Olympus does for whatever reason. I feel like I'm holding a computer with Olympus, a camera with Panasonic.

The PEN F does buck that trend though. It's a very good feeling camera. GX85 grip is better though, you need an external grip with the PEN.

12. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I guess we all have different ideas on what's does it for us. I like when the camera feels retro with knobs and dials. That's what the m10 2 does it for me, If can ever master it. The GX85 does give that workhorse feel to it but to me it's a bland feeling. The GM1 size is what makes me like it.

It's good they have all sorts of styles.

Dennis

13. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    However someone told me the retro feeling goes away once you turn the pen F around and see the articulating screen. Bummer

14. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    For me the Panasonic menu system sort of blends with the hardware feeling for that perfect blend. I haven't handled an EM10 ii, but I didn't like the dials much on the Mk i model.

15. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    But I think the ergonomics create a vibe. Some are Rangefinder people and some are SLR
    people.

EDIT: I assumed he GX7 was the G7 when I wrote that. The GX7 looks similar to the GX85. Maybe he GX7 is more rounded around the corners and the GX85 is very squared.

Dennis

Dennis

16. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Reviewed.com actually reviewed the GX85 and at the end mentioned the G7 and and M10 II. The GX85 was the top pick out of those.

17. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Yes, the GX7 has a far more substantial grip. Not as big as the one on the G7, but enough to be satisfying with pretty much anything out there in the mu43 world. When I took the GX80 in my hand, it just didn't feel anything like it, although the (supposedly same/similar) viewfinder seemed a lot nicer. Weird...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I actually almost bought a LX100 for $550 at Best Buy but how can you spend $600(taxes) on a LX100 if a GX85 is sitting right next to it for $200 more, I mean I couldn't do it pass it up. I wonder how well the IQ would be on the GM85 vs the LX100 within the kit lens 12-32 focal length.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It's funny I find it just the opposite. The Panasonic cameras feel more machine to me with the Olympus bodies feeling more camera. But as I've said in other threads I'm finding I enjoy the rangefinder style for what I shoot with m4/3. I did, briefly, consider getting a Pen F. But price; the fact I prefer tilt over articulated screens; and Pan some lenses to preform a little better on Pan bodies tipped the balance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Before any other comparisons, I think one has to decide if they want or prefer the DSLR or the rangefinder style body.
    I have both, horses for courses.
    The GX85 seems to me to be the perfect street camera.
    Small, unobtrusive, rangefinder style, tilting (not articulating) screen, IBIS, etc.
    But no rangefinder body is going to be as comfortable to grip as a DSLR style like the G7.
    Panasonic cameras in general feel to me "cozier" to hold than Oly's.
    Olympus cameras seem to have harder contours, Panasonic softer, more rounded ones.
    After that of course you get into the menu discussion, the viewfinder quality, etc.
    But you have to admit, both companies are making some really nice cameras.
    M4/3 gear is just a joy to use in general, at least for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1