1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Size comparison: GH2 vs. G3 vs. GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by carpandean, Jul 26, 2011.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    As someone looking to upgrade my GF1 to something with a built-in viewfinder, I've been wavering between the GH2 and the G3. These pics (not mine) helped me a lot in my decision.

Front:
    [​IMG]

- The G3 is definitely smaller than the GH2, but other views show it much better. However, this is the one view that I feel the GH2 wins on looks (mostly in the "leather" grip.)

Back:
    [​IMG]

- Obviously, the G3 is a little more sparse, but it actually looks cleaner and newer (probably because it is.) The GH2 hinge looks bigger than it needs to be and the G3 "hump" is far more compact.

Side:
    [​IMG]

- The size difference is very noticeable here. Yes, much of the advantage goes away with a non-pancake lens, but even with smaller zooms, I feel the package will be more compact.

Top:
    [​IMG]

- Here, the idea that the G3 is more of a built-in EVF GF1 is very evident. It also shows that the G3 fits better with smaller lenses (14-42's, 14-45, 45's, 12, 14, 17, 20, 25.) The GH2 will definitely fit better with longer lenses, though I actually think that the compact design of the 14-140mm (front to rear; it's kind of a stubby - short and fat - lens) makes it look alright on the G3:

[​IMG]

If you click on any of the pictures, it will cycle through the set. There are many other photos of the G3 alone. I hope this helps others in my boat and I thank Hans at cameramu.com for posting the comparison shots.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for the comparison. I hope the readers realize that smaller is not necessarily more beautiful and larger is not necessarily old technology. I suggest that feeling id believing and not just seeing! Big hands on small cameras can spell disaster to the user.

.....and you got that all for just my two cents, probably soion to be worth less.

Best regards,
    Tom

3. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Very true. I wish that any camera store around here actually carried the Lumix line (Best Buy carries the GF2, but that's it.) I'm going to try the G3, as it's the size that I want, but then if I decide it's too small, I'll have to look closer at the GH2.

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Thanks for this. I've had too much time on my hands lately and have been thinking about the G3. But these pictures show that while it is smaller than the GH2, when you include a lens it's not so small that I'd take the G3 places where I would not take the GH2.

The GF2 and GF3, on the other hand...

5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

John,

You and I share the identical sentiments. I learned this lesson all too well and at a sizable cost when I first left 35mmand bought a Niokon P7000. The only thing on that camera that was truly excellent was the visual qualiuty of its screen. It was way too small for larger adult hands to master the controls, too big for the shirt pocket, needed a tripod when using the long portion of the zoom, etc., etc., etc. I believe that if one wants a wee camera, one must be willing to give up considerable control and features and this is anti-marketing in today's camera economics.

Best regards,
    Tom

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Nice comparison carpandean! Thank you.

I just picked up my G3 today and in comparison with my GH2 I don't find the size difference to be as much as I expected. The GH2 is a tad chunkier, but they're not all that different. The G3 does have a decidedly "sexier" look and feel to it. It's a very attractive form.

Reaching for the On/Off switch on the G3 feels like more of a stretch "up" than with the GH2... as you can see in the pics, the hump on the G3 was moderated with a ramp up of the top, which positions the rotary switch and On/Off switch a bit higher.

I agree with you, John, that the G3 is not so very much smaller than the GH2 as to make a significant difference in which body to take along, due to size.

I've only had the G3 for a few hours, so I need a lot more time for a more in depth comparison to the GH2. I have no plans to let go of either body. I do think I will let go of my GF1, just because two m4/3 bodies are plenty for me and the G3 offers so much better IQ, lower noise, articulated screen, built-in EVF that the GF1 lacks. The G3 (and the GH2) offer a wide variety of shooting positions - held away but in front of the face (LCD shooting), right at the eye/face (EVF shooting), and positions such as waistlevel, held high over the head, or sitting on the ground - but still allowing convenient composition with the fully articulated screen.

The GF1 does, however, have a "solid steel feel" to it that both the GH2 and G3 lack to some small degree, but in the effort to reduce size and weight, it's not surprising that the GH2 and G3 would have a slightly less solid feel than the venerable GF1 (a veritable tank!) has.

The G3 does give surprisingly more purchase, even with my largish hands, than I expected... the body shape is well designed in this regard. And I love the "chocolate" color... it really is the color of chocolate.

P1000895.jpg

And the 14-140 feels fine on the G3.

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Interesting - I think if someone added the GF3 to the comparison it would show a nice (in my opinion) progression through the Panasonic line-up :smile:

8. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Thanks for putting up the comparison images. I bought the G3 to replace the GF1 as it's a similar size but I can't bring myself to sell it!!:biggrin:

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Can't wait to get my G3, hopefully it is on the brown truck from panasonic (they ran an auth to my credit card yesterday). It really does look like a GF1 with a slightly larger grip and a permanently attached viewfinder, exactly what I am looking for!

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, when did you order?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Although in terms of raw measurements there is not a huge difference in size between the GH2 and G3, I think there is a significant difference in presence. The GH2 is by no means big, but even in your photograph you can see how the G3 is 'lost' within your grip. it has the potential to be more stealthy.

Just my view.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    7/7 - black w/kit lens - but my order is through the EPP program, not facebook. (may make a difference...? no idea but a thought)

13. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Was playing around a little bit with life-size print outs. Shown here are the T3i with 18-55mm (3x kit lens), the G3 with 14-42mm (3x kit lens), and the GH2 with 14-140mm (10x movie optimized lens):

G3-GH2-T3i.jpg

I was surprised how similar the T3i with kit lens and GH2 with 10x movie lens were in size. The G3 is tiny by comparison.

Overlaying my GF1 with Asashi grip, 14-45mm, and LVF-1 viewfinder:

G3-GH2-T3i-2.jpg

Hard to tell the difference. (Note: it's only perspective - GF1 is 3D and shot slightly from the left side - that makes the GF1 look wider, as the G3 is just a hair wider.)

A few more shots comparing the G3 to my current GF1 system:

G3-G1Asashi-3.jpg

G3-G1Asashi.jpg

G3-G1Asashi-2.jpg

The GF1 setup is actually a hair taller, while the EVF protrusion out the back of the G3 is bigger. Otherwise, about the same size. Of course, you can't take the grip or viewfinder off the G3. Honestly, if they made a higher speed/resolution add-on EVF for the GF1, it would be a much harder choice. The faster AF and articulated screen would still be tough to pass on, though.

I really hope that the GF7 ("GF Pro") has either a built-in (rangefinder location) EVF or a higher quality add-on one. Plus, I hope that they make a similar grip to the Asashi one like you also see for Leicas.

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    carpandean,

I noticed you had some different grip on the GF1. What is that exactly?

15. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    It's a screw-on plate with grip made by Asashi. It's a nice chunk of metal with an inlaid synthetic knurled gripping surface. Screws into the tripod mount. It does, unfortunately cover the battery/card door, so you have to pop it off to access either of those. Definitely provides a better grip with larger lenses. I take it off when using the 14mm and 20mm, but otherwise keep it on.

I happened to catch it on Ebay a long while back and haven't seen one since ... until this week (I have not relation to the seller.)

Here's some additional shots:

GF1-SLR5.JPG

GF1-SLR2.JPG

GF1-SLR1.JPG

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thanks. Was curious.

Actually, I'd be interested in something similar for the E-P1.

17. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    It exists:

BEPGFGrip.jpg

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Pelao... yes, in spite of being fairly similar in size, the G3 definitely does seem smaller and "stealthier" than the GH2. There is enough of a difference to have one of each, in my view.

19. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    I agree about the sizes. My hands aren't small for a woman so the 5D, though much heavier, always felt comfortable in hand. The G1 was a considerable step down in size for me but quite comfortable. I have a GF1 also and though its a good looking body I have never enjoyed handling/shooting with it. It reminds me of my old film AE-1 and Mamiya that I still have--bricks. So I was not sure at all that I would like the G3. After 3 weeks shooting with it it is my favorite overall. I'm not a tele shooter though have shot with the 45-200 and found it fine. I shoot quite a lot with MF lenses and really like shooting with them on G3. I had expected to buy a GH2 until the G3 came out and since video is just very secondary for me the G3 fits both my needs and hands very nicely.

Diane