1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Size comparison argument.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by scott2hot, Dec 20, 2013.

1. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I had to post this under a new thread....this is the reason i always come back to M43
    Last i was using was nikon D7000 and sigma 28 f1.8...now oly E P5 with panny 20mm f1.7 output was virtually identical to my liking!
    Guess i dont need to tell you all why i got fed up of nikon...Not only was it bigger / heavier and off putting to everyone around.
    I hated the look on some face's at any park ...even though i was with my own child!...Big black cams and lenses shout pro or perv! gets even worse when you go telephoto!

Ep5 doesnt get a glance...only by those who know cams anyway.

Happy christmas
    Scott.

• Like Like x 5
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    This was really a huge unexpected benefit for me when I first got in to m4/3s. The lack of reaction to the photographer is a difference maker if you are shooting people in casual situations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I agree..wife said i was paranoid..but you can tell by their curious / glancing eyes and body language...Also a bonus shooting in dodgy area's..easy to slip in coat...more than a few times had Hoodies look me over when using DSLR (wondering if they were hard enough to take it off me!) I know of two flickr shooters who were mugged in bradford while shooting city hall lit up at night. BIG CAMERA'S means big money to muggers.

4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I've become a m43 snob. Yes...I still have my FF stuff yet when I see tourists and photogs with their DSLR, I chuckle inside. Because I used to be one..carrying big heavy equipment.

Of course I keep to myself but I want to tell them big DSLR just isn't necessary... nor look fashionable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. veesalo

veesalo New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2013
    North Europe
    I has D700 and switched it to GX7, I was just tired to drag the Nikon with me... Also got some leftover money for xmas.

• Like Like x 1
  6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Compare it to the GM1 with the 20mm and it's even more incredible how much of a size difference there is!

Rafael

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Some manufacturers are making smaller DSLRs but the big savings, both in size and money, comes in lenses. When it comes to cameras I believe that size really does matter. :biggrin:

8. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    When I was younger it never really bothered me carrying around lots of heavy gear. As I have gotten older I have had to make sacrifices and one of those is the size of the gear I carry. That is what brought me to m4/3.

Glad you found something that can make you feel superior.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The more I travel to remote places dragging everything around in a backpack, the more I appreciate a relatively compact system. I have the pancakes for tiny, but find myself preferring the RX100 for true pocket ability and going to the slightly larger bodies for image quality. It still yields a far, far lighter and smaller camera bag.

10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I dunno...I've gotten a couple of really nice portraits from a gripped D300 / 70-200 f/2.8 combination.

Put that bad boy on "rock 'n roll" at 9 fps and the shutter sound alone gets a nice reaction from the subject.

Sometimes ya want quiet, sometimes a little shutter noise can be a good thing.

Regards,

Jim

11. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    real life quick pic:
    [​IMG]

I cant show the weight difference...)))

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Size-wise they are actually pretty similar if you don't count the hood on that L lens and the full-sized flash. :confused:
    What focal length is the L lens? It's probably a bigger difference if you compared the 35-100 with say a 70-200 f/4 L.

13. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    There is hardly any real world size difference between my Panny G2 and my Canon 600D, even with the 45-200mm and 55-250mm fitted.

14. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There's a massive difference between a bag with a FF canon and 24-105, 100-400 pair and one prime. Much bulkier and heavier than, say, an E-M5, 7-14, 12-35, 100-300, 20/1.7, 45/1.8. Even an E-M1/12-40/FT 50-200 (an optically better combo than the canon in a lot of ways, and I've owned both) is still quite a bit more compact to carry. Shooting is generally not my issue, traveling with the stuff is.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The size comparison argument is a key one, but full frame cameras are getting smaller too:

11593602246_50aed7e028_b.

• Like Like x 1
  16. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The people reaction factor for me is big as well, around here you get dirty looks at kids parks with big cameras. I like my M43 gear, but my tool for the kids park is a Nikon J1 with the 18.5mm 1.8. Its a quick focus/tracking assassin, as good as my D7000 is in tracking mode, the J1 is better, smaller, and in white looks like a total point and shoot.

17. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There's a reason I sold the 5DII today and bought an A7R a week and a bit ago ;)

18. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Has anyone picked up and handled a Canon 100D
    Tried one at a local PCWorld
    Absolutely amazed at how compact they have made the camera body and also how comfortable to hold it was
    The body is based upon the spec of the Canon 700D so functionality including touchscreen LCD monitor is similarly good
    The only thing that lets it down is the size of the standard 18 - 55mm lens which is where such DSLRs will always lose out to M43. Otherwise a stunningly compact body very comparable to M43 in size
    I also note that Sony have brought out a lowish spec DSLT body - A3000 I think it is? Which has an NEX Lens mount which does reduce the overall size somewhat
    Regards
    Rob

19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    You know I used to think you couldn't make a fast zoom small but the fuji 18-55 is tiny for being APS-C and OIS.