Six months with Sigma DP3M -from a MFT lover :) Heavy images

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys :smile:
    I adopted MFT quite early and I am the biggest supporter of this format and continue to use it as my primary system.Howover from time to time I do suffer GAS and end up buying gear which appeals to me for a unique reason. I was always curious about foveon sensor and around six months ago I managed to get DP3M for a reasonable price .
    It took me few days before I felt comfortable and started shooting with DP3M, I must tell you , I dont reach for any other cameras these days . I am totally in love with Sigma DP3M .
    There is nothing which beats Sigma for IQ.
    SigmaDP3M is the least complicated camera and UI is one of the best . I have Olympus EM5 with 12-40 and Sony A7 with 28-70 and use them from time to me but its Sigma which makes me smile all the time . If anyone of you get a chance , just grab this any of these little pockets rockets and have a blast .
    Some images now .They are all JPEGS as I forgot to shoot RAW :wink:
    Enjoy the pics and feel free to comment :2thumbs::2thumbs:

1)[​IMG]DP3M0866 by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

2)[​IMG]DP3M0763 by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

3)[​IMG]DP3M0899 by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

4)[​IMG]DP3M0906 by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

5)[​IMG]DP3M0752 by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

6)[​IMG]DP3M0860 by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

7)[​IMG]image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

8)[​IMG]image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

9)[​IMG]image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

10)[​IMG]image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

11)[​IMG]image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

12)[​IMG]image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr

13)[​IMG]SDIM0300 by bhupinder2002, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 18
  2. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Some great images there - thanks for posting!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I have long had the DP2M on my "need to try" list. One of these days I'll get around to doing that, but dealing with SPP usually dampens my enthusiasm for the experiment.

Nice shots, thanks for sharing!
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I picked up a DP1M this summer and despite its limitations (of which there are many!), the IQ is stunning. When you do your job right behind the lens, the results are spectacular. I agree totally about the Sigma Photo Plus software though - anyone who thinks Oly's OV3 is slow needs to try SPP for an evening and believe me, you'll change your mind entirely!
  5. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Wow, very nice. Makes me kind of wish that Sigma would make a m4/3 body. Thanks for sharing.
  6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Despite having what I consider a slow (ish) 4 year old iMac, I've never actually been frustrated with the speed of SPP. In fact it's a lot faster than OV3 on my machine.
    Lovely DP3 shots btw BP. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Please, pass the Gas-X!

I get a little "photo-weary", but the color and detail of these, make me really look, not just glance at them.

Thanks, for posting them.
  8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Great shots! I'm glad I read your posts about the Sigma DP cameras and got my DP2 M, I enjoy the heck out of it even though it's definitely a bit "cantankerous" to shoot with... The detail and IQ are quite out of most other cameras league... :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Congrats :drinks: I am so happy with the final results that I don't care about limitations . It's the end result which matters .
  10. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    Bhupinder, thanks for posting those. I'd venture to say that what's behind the camera is just as important as what's in it. I don't think I coul do as well with that camera as you. Very nice images.

PS - I agree that Sigma should offer a MFT sensor. They would only benefit from broadening their user base.
  11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The Sigma with a M43 sensor would flop. What makes the DP2 M, DP3 M, etc. so special is the Foveon sensor. Sure, the lens is good, but there is probably better glass available in native format for the M43 cameras.

This is not possible with any M43 sensor or even some FF.... Look for the crops in the big picture..

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    This is the beauty of the foveon sensor.. These are taken from street level with a 30mm lens! No telephoto zoom here.... You can count the rivets, the wires, almost (probably) read labels on the stuff..... Only a high end FF camera with a fine lens can equal this. As good as the M43 sensors are, they don't come close. I know, I have E-M1, E-M5, E-P5, had GX7 too.... Have decent glass too......

Original JPG out of camera with exposure adjustment in LR5

this is the crop...

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    You guys just nudged me into a DP1M and a DP3M. They've been on and off of my radar for quite some time now and I finally realized that much of what I shoot is quite suitable to the slow, deliberate approach required by the DP's. And my lightweight carbon fibre Gitzo is never far from me, but hasn't gotten much use lately. It could use some action.

The images from Oregon (made with the DP1M) and Morocco (made with the DP2M), on Sigma's website, absolutely blew me away and clinched the deal for me.

I don't often need speedy cameras for what I shoot, and I'm also fine with spending ample time at the Mac editing in the digital darkroom. IQ (for really large wall prints) is quite important to me, thus, taking the DP plunge (as an auxiliary kit) makes sense to me. I'll use these cameras in the particular circumstances where they make sense and use my m4/3 gear for most everything else. Thanks. Now I need to offload some little used gear!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I keep on dithering about these little cameras. I mean, there's no arguing with the output. I think I need to simply pretend they're film cameras, and each battery is a roll with 36 to 50 exposures, and then simply try it out. I do wonder whether the real world difference with an A7r is going to be massively large, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    No argument from me about the IQ of the Sigma DP cameras. Has the software for raw processing improved any?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think you're missing the intent - we want Sigma to release a 43 sensor Foveon sensor body with a MFT mount. Provide something really different.
  17. Bhupinder2002

Exactly right . I have three batteries and I carry them in my jeans pocket. I love the way Sigma handles the Colors. I shoot JPEGs and just use Snapspeed sometimes .

image by bhupinder2002, on Flickr
  18. Bhupinder2002

I don't use SPP.
  19. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    As a lens company, Sigma would prefer you buy a Sigma DSLR and SIgma lenses. I don't think Sigma wants to make an interchangeable lens camera so you can use Olympus and Panasonic lenses on it.
  20. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I've read the DP cams can easily be modded to be InfraRed the end user & easily reversible. Anyone know more?