Site upgrade feedback, bugs, and requests thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Dear all,

Tomorrow I will begin the long process of upgrading the site from Xenforo 1.x to Xenforo 2.x. The site has been backed up carefully, and I've run the upgrade process on a test site.

Still, I expect that there will be some bumps in the road. Initially, I'm going to install the forum software without a lot of addons/modifications in order to make sure everything is working. That means that there won't be a front page with featured threads, a sidebar with recent discussions in the thread view, an alert at the top of the page for unread threads, direct menu links to Buy & Sell, or certain other features you may be accustomed to.

Addons which have priority are the enhanced search, the Buy & Sell feedback system, getting the post ratings system imported (likes, thanks, winner, etc). In time I will add back other features as time permits. Some, like the featured threads front page, will definitely be restored. Others may stay gone depending on member request and feasibility within Xenforo 2.x.

When the site first switches over, there will only be one site theme/style. I will restore the ability to use light or dark styles, fix logos, etc, over the course of the next couple of days.

Please use this thread to point out any bugs, requests, or suggestions. I do ask that you be patient with me. I am doing this alone rather than paying someone because I feel like I am in the best position to get it right, but I've got a hectic job and family life, so it will take me some time to get everything squared away.

Addendum: I may not be able to respond directly to every comment or suggestion, but I am reading everything. There are a lot of basic things I need to get done behind the scenes before I get to some of the requests.

Last edited:

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Hope this doesn't go against the flow of most members but our speeds in Oz are abysmal and pages with lots of images sometimes have to be skipped because it takes forever to load. May I suggest a max of 5 images per post and/or 10 posts per page?

Thank you for all your hard work both in the past and now and in the future.................this community is the best that I have encountered in my time on the net.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I’ll be awaiting the new outcome
Thank You for an awesome site, it’s like no other! It’s full of awesomeness with kind words and images that are around the world photographed by likeminded photographers

Hey Amin, thanks for doing this. The site is already one of the best among all photography forums (I wrote a different post to that effect a while ago) and I can only imagine the upgrade to make it even better.
Assuming this also affects mobile UI, I have one suggestion - on mobile I don't get to see my "watched threads". That page remains empty even though I have quite a few watched threads. I imagine this would have been reported earlier by someone but just pointing out again. Thanks!

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Hope this doesn't go against the flow of most members but our speeds in Oz are abysmal and pages with lots of images sometimes have to be skipped because it takes forever to load. May I suggest a max of 5 images per post and/or 10 posts per page?

Thank you for all your hard work both in the past and now and in the future.................this community is the best that I have encountered in my time on the net.
No problems in NZ, unless I use Chrome on my Android tablet, which has problems with the longer threads. But I am on fibre.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Well I am in Oz too and this is not my experience. Have you considered your Internet connection (e.g., using old wiring maybe with more than one pre-wireless wiring connection); your provider etc.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Sometimes when on another site (like DPReview.com), I drive traffic to this site by posting a link to a particular image of mine that is germane to the discussion on the other site. I also do that on the Olympus email list.

I used to do that by looking through "View Attachments" to find the image I was thinking of, but it seems to have disappeared!

Is it coming back? Or have I accidentally disabled it somehow?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Well I am in Oz too and this is not my experience. Have you considered your Internet connection (e.g., using old wiring maybe with more than one pre-wireless wiring connection); your provider etc.

Connection speed in oz is mainly dependent on area, even on suburb. Some in the city have 3X faster connections than those in the burbs only 8ks distant.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Sometimes when on another site (like DPReview.com), I drive traffic to this site by posting a link to a particular image of mine that is germane to the discussion on the other site. I also do that on the Olympus email list.

I used to do that by looking through "View Attachments" to find the image I was thinking of, but it seems to have disappeared!

Is it coming back? Or have I accidentally disabled it somehow?

It's one of many things on the list. Please bear with me. Lots of things will be going, many of which will return. I can't address them one by one in the meanwhile.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus

I'm on Naked DSL in Australia and not my experience either, forum is more than usable. I wonder if there's a browser plugin that might be able to help stop loading assets until they're called, seems a bit redundant implementing it server side when the problem will resolve itself in the next year or two as the NBN rollout progresses.

Web-Betty

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Melissa
Is the forum now set to a particular (smaller) view? There's a large blank space either side of the posts and images are now much smaller. Is there a setting to enlarge the view to fill my monitor?

Hi Amin, I'm curious about this one as well. One of the best features was viewing larger sizes of the images for full impact. Now they do seem very small.

I'm sure these are all on your list, but you asked in your OP so here are a few things I'd love to see back.
  1. Larger images (as noted)
  2. EXIF data automatically listed beneath images (I understand this was in cases where the full-size image was embedded)
  3. The up and down arrows on the right side that let you jump to the top or bottom of the page
Thanks for all that you do!

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
While I don't really find 2FA necessary for the site... wholey appreciate that it's actually an option. And not something that's SMS based. And yes, I'm turning it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom