Site upgrade feedback, bugs, and requests thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Ok, after a couple of days using the new site....

I miss having the "latest posts" button at the bottom of a page. And I'm a little annoyed with having to constantly select "view more" when I am on the What's new page.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Will follow up after there's been some time to see if doing so changes alerting behavior.
Neither this thread or the orange dark theme one are generating push notifications to idle tabs. Alerts seem to be created in response to manual action as I can click the alert button at top right, the drop down fills with old alerts, and then new alerts load. If I'm active on a tab then it receives pushes but I'm not yet entirely clear on what constitutes activity. It appears to be link or button clicks or a certain amount of typing a post, but there may also be a time window involved.

Is that the expected behaviour now (and I guess, was it the normal behaviour before)?
Wasn't the normal behaviour for me before, so I don't consider it expected now. A review of the previously linked XenForo thread shows, however, the XenForo developer responsible (Chris D) is adamant about defining it as an Apple problem (to the point of changing his personal devices from iOS to Android). Objections from XenForo customers with hundreds of thousands of iOS users notwithstanding. Chris also ducked answering a few reasonable questions as to how notifications worked as well as queries as to why XF 2.x isn't exhbiting expected notification behaviour. Certain of Chris's recent comments could be taken as recognition XenForo's stance of "If push notifications work, great, if not we don't care." isn't especially viable after nine months of steady customer complaints. But there's no evidence a solution will happen.

It's not at all clear to me why XF didn't just not break what they had working in 1.5.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lots of feedback but also lots of work by Amin in response. Upgrading a site like this is a sizeable task, getting it to work first time with no unplanned downtime is fantastic and the subsequent efforts are appreciated.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Certain of Chris's recent comments could be taken as recognition XenForo's stance of "If push notifications work, great, if not we don't care."
I think you're conflating two different issues: alerts and push notifications.

The issue with alerts is that by design Xenforo alerts users of a new reply to a thread they're watching only if they've viewed the thread since the last alert. Or at least that's how it is supposed to work. A lot of people don't think it consistently delivers this behavior and feel like some alerts go missing even when they have viewed the thread since the last alert. The arguments about whether Xenforo alerts work properly has been ongoing since Xenforo 1.x and continues with 2.x.

The issue with push notifications is that iOS doesn't support web push notifications. The only way to do push notifications on iOS is with an app from the Apple App Store. Xenforo 1.x didn't do any push notifications at all without a third party modification. Native web push notifications are a new feature of Xenforo 2.x but do not work on iOS because iOS doesn't support the functionality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/993rfz
See also:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50692775/ios-12-web-push-notifications

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-iOS-support-web-browser-push-notifications-yet

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Buy & Sell forum showing COMPLETED listings. Should those automatically move to the completed listing section?

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I think you're conflating two different issues: alerts and push notifications.
Both are required to produce pre-update behaviour. On XF 1.5, mu-43.com consistently generated alerts when new posts were made to watched threads, ratings were given, or when conversation messages were posted. All of these were reliably pushed as notifications to Chrome on Windows 10, including to browser tabs idle for hours through device sleep and wake cycles. On XF 2.1, mu-43.com does not perform either step reliably. Regardless of the level of reliability observed on other XF 1.x deployments, mu-43's alert system is now substantially degraded from its past behaviour. Despite XenForo's claims to the contrary, it does not appear mutually enabling pushes in Chrome .and XF 2.1 produces any improvement.

This isn't about feelings. XF 2.1 is unambiguously failing to generate alerts entirely in some cases and page 3 of this thread links multiple posts which should have raised alerts which did not. In cases where XF 2.1 does successfully generate alerts on demand, it is also failing to push those alerts at the time the triggering posts or ratings are made (I don't get many conversation messages, so no data there yet). The question, it seems to me, is whether we're stuck with the degraded 2.1 behaviour or if it's possible adjust 2.1 to maintain parity with 1.5. Since neither of us knows the answer, I think the main choice is whether to live with the regression or to open a support case with XenForo. Personally, I would pursue the latter but it's not my XenForo account.

XF's one sided argument with Apple over push support is orthogonal to my use cases. The existence of similar mu-43 alerting regressions on iOS clients is, however, an understandable concern for mu-43 users who do access the forum Apple devices.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I've not personally observed any regression to pursue with Xenforo support. As far as I can tell based on my own usage of XF 2.1, alerts work the same as they did in XF 1.5, and push notifications are a nice addition.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
I've not personally observed any regression to pursue with Xenforo support. As far as I can tell based on my own usage of XF 2.1, alerts work the same as they did in XF 1.5, and push notifications are a nice addition.
I’ve definitely noticed a difference (notifications no longer appear in real-time). I can live with it but it’s a shame to have gone backward on this. Huge steps forward in many other area though so happy with he upgrade overall. And certainly the speed, lack of serious service disruption, and openness of support is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom