Site upgrade feedback, bugs, and requests thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Yes, ok. The ability to type on mobile has been limited. I am now always waiting for the site to show me what it thinks I have typed. Interacting with the site is now much slower for my phone. Android.

I don't have the same slow keystroke response on my computer (OS X), so I think it is just the Android version. On my computer, the site is easily able to keep up with my interactions - on my mobile phone, it is not.

Javascript load, keyboard buffer, just much slower to accept input. I said input buffer because I notice it will start dropping keystrokes if I try to type ahead on mobile. No such problem on OSX.

Is it just me? My phone is a primary suspect in a bunch of stuff right now. Headed for a serious confrontation with it soon I'm afraid. It could just be me.
Argh. Further to this, if the edit box has a lot of text in it, every time I touch somewhere in the textbox to place the cursor, the focus jumps to the top of the textbox. This is infuriating when the textbox spans multiple pages on a phone display.

I'm on Firefox on Android 9.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
After a few days most of this is growing on me. Two things I miss:
1) I liked being able to hover over alerts instead of a click. Minor, I know, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it was immediate and convenient.
2) Also, I liked the old rating system where they were visible until you rated, then disappeared. I think this has been mentioned previously.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
My experience on mobile is that ot appears the UI buffer has been shrunk signifucantly. I will check on OSX later, but Android UI can't keep up at all.
He probably means the new site is heavier on JS and what not, so uses more resources. I have noticed that a little as well.

One thing that has tripped me up a few times now is that trying to scroll past the reply controls at the bottom of a thread is more difficult on a phone - if the OSK activates, there's very little dead space for scrolling, and I end up activating one of the many buttons at the top of the reply controls instead.
On Screen Keyboard. If I accidentally touch inside the reply text box it activates and shrinks the browser so it pretty much just shows the reply controls and text box. I'm not sure why it's more of a problem for me now than before though.
Yes, ok. The ability to type on mobile has been limited. I am now always waiting for the site to show me what it thinks I have typed. Interacting with the site is now much slower for my phone. Android.

I don't have the same slow keystroke response on my computer (OS X), so I think it is just the Android version. On my computer, the site is easily able to keep up with my interactions - on my mobile phone, it is not.

Javascript load, keyboard buffer, just much slower to accept input. I said input buffer because I notice it will start dropping keystrokes if I try to type ahead on mobile. No such problem on OSX.

Is it just me? My phone is a primary suspect in a bunch of stuff right now. Headed for a serious confrontation with it soon I'm afraid. It could just be me.
Argh. Further to this, if the edit box has a lot of text in it, every time I touch somewhere in the textbox to place the cursor, the focus jumps to the top of the textbox. This is infuriating when the textbox spans multiple pages on a phone display.

I'm on Firefox on Android 9.
I'm not sure what can be done about this. I've asked on the Xenforo site: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/members-reporting-performance-issues-on-android-after-upgrading-from-xenforo-1-5x-to-xenforo-2-1x.167818/

On the plus side, push notifications are now built into Xenforo and should work well on Android.

From what I can tell, performance is as good or better than before on iPhone. A negative for iPhone users is that there is no support for push notifications built into Xenforo that can work on iOS, and the addons for Pushover and Pushbullet aren't yet compatible with Xenforo 2.x :(.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Any way to hide the title overlay or at least move it below the image? It obscures half the image in a lot of cases. It's made worse by the aspect ratio of the preview space- everything gets cropped into what looks like 3:2, ironically chopping off the bottom of 4:3 images which are the predominant aspect ratio of this system. I feel like letter boxing would have been a better option.
Regarding the scrolling pictures, the info is obscuring 1/3 of the image, annoying.
The scrolling pics are just a temporary stop-gap solution. I am going to find a way to restore the front page asap.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I'm fine with the performance really - I have an older phone...

As for my frustration with the textbox - I just downloaded Chrome for Android and that doesn't jump around... I guess its a Firefox-only issue. Chrome is even more sluggish though.

Edit: Oh wow, inspect element shows that this is a fairly complicated div element with event hooks, not a simple textbox...

Last edited:

kb1142

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Kevin
Regarding "Likes"and "Winners". The alerts list ALL of those who rated a certain photo. The old site would only list one member who rated it and when you went to see what photo it was, it had others who had also newly rated the photo. They just were not listed in the alerts. The old method was more efficient regarding this. Thank You

www.tinroofvideo.com
Kevin Balling Photography

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
push notifications are now built into Xenforo and should work well on Android
Does it look like there's chance of addressing the multiple alerting regressions from XF 1.x in desktop Chrome or is the alerting system just broken in XF 2.x with no ETA for fixes? It's not especially hard to work around, but unreliable alerting combined with unreliable /unread URLs makes monitoring threads and checking where people have tagged you for a response quite a hassle compared to XF 1.x.

I suppose, for example, @barry13 could change how the Guess the Location thread works to accommodate XF 2.x limitations. However, it seems to me new post management is core functionality for forum software. Alerting is also a headline feature on the home page of XF's website. So I'm a bit surprised the XF 2.1.2 stable release (if that's what we're on) is unreliable and platform specific in these areas. Especially as both areas seemed robust in the release sequence up to XF 1.5.24.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I am already getting used to the layout changes. This is not something that is done lightly.

Tapping an image to zoom in seems to just enlarge the thumbnail on my iPhone- the zoomed in image is pretty soft - I have 4g/wi-fi.
It was mentioned in another thread. After hitting the image, there is a box with arrow to full screen expand it. Then you can pinch zoom and see full quality details.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Does it look like there's chance of addressing the multiple alerting regressions from XF 1.x in desktop Chrome or is the alerting system just broken in XF 2.x with no ETA for fixes? It's not especially hard to work around, but unreliable alerting combined with unreliable /unread URLs makes monitoring threads and checking where people have tagged you for a response quite a hassle compared to XF 1.x.

I suppose, for example, @barry13 could change how the Guess the Location thread works to accommodate XF 2.x limitations. However, it seems to me new post management is core functionality for forum software. Alerting is also a headline feature on the home page of XF's website. So I'm a bit surprised the XF 2.1.2 stable release (if that's what we're on) is unreliable and platform specific in these areas. Especially as both areas seemed robust in the release sequence up to XF 1.5.24.
This is a bit above my head as I haven't noticed anything different. Does this addon look like it would help?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/alert-improvements-by-xon.6398/

I used the previous version of that addon with XF1.x but am trying to keep the number of addons as few as possible with XF2.x

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Does this addon look like it would help?
Good idea, though I suspect it's not the add on. After some digging around in the XenForo forums it may be that XF 1.x and 2.x interact differently with Chrome. It appears push notifications are enabled by default in XF and blocked in Chrome, so the flakiness I've been seeing could be bugs or limitations in Chrome's blocking and not an XF issue at all:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After enabling pushes in Chrome and reloading https://www.mu-43.com/account/preferences:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've just clicked the enable button. Will follow up after there's been some time to see if doing so changes alerting behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom