1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Site to share photos online?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rainyseason, Feb 5, 2012.

1. rainyseason

rainyseason Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2011
    Costa Rica
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a good free site to share my photos. What do most of you guys use and are there any important facts I should know about them? I'm mostly just looking for a place to put travel photos for my friends to see and the few good pictures I take worth sharing. I use Aperture to edit my pictures if that makes any difference.
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I use Picasa because I already have Google everything else, so why not. I also like their site better overall than Flickr, which is of course another super popular choice. 500px has also been gaining traction lately but I don't really know much about it.

The main thing to be aware of is that all of these sites give you fairly small amounts of free storage. Picasa is 1 GB total, with $20 GB more for $5 a year. Flickr is 2 videos and 300 MB per month, unlimited for $25/year.

3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I use Flickr for general storage (paid the $25 per year since that is little for me to have unlimited online storage). It integrates well with Aperture (and probably also with Lightroom). Their free allowance is not huge, but it is decent and can get you started, then you can later decide whether to upgrade. It is also easy to get it to generate BB type address tags to link pics into forum posts, for instance.

Then, I use 500px for my very best photos. For me it is also a better site to browse and make some connections. Their free allowance is really limited, though. Unlimited is $50 a year but they run specials from time to time.

4. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I'm with Photobucket.
    They offer unlimited storage for free !

C U
    Rafael

5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    PB is unlimited these days ?

I think it depends on the use case.
    Flickr only showed limited number of most recent pictures in your photo stream. But the pictures are still there and hotlinks are undisturbed. So if you only share the pictures in external sites like forum and has no business with older pics, it's a nice image dump site.

500px is more a "portfolio" site, upload only your best pictures to show (instead of the "is that all you have" Flickr). It only give you a limited number of uploads per week.
    BTW, don't like them labelling all user with the copyright "[Photographer's name] Photography"

6. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    picasa, flick, 500px, postimage.org -> I like to use this, only to upload photos but it doesn't have a community application

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    What do you mean by community application? :confused:

Picasa web is now linked directly to Google+ if you have a Google+ account. Is this what you meant by community application?

8. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    oh, I mean features you can find in flickr, 500px, you can add friends, make groups. Features like that. Postimage is site to upload image only. upload- get link- share to forum or another sites :)

9. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Since June 01, 2011, this is their approach :

June 01, 2011
    Photobucket now has unlimited storage!

Unlimited Storage

The web’s premier photo and video site on the web, Photobucket.com is now giving unlimited storage* for all users! This means that free users get all of the below:

Unlimited photo storage
    There will be a limit of 500 videos for free users
    All storage for free users will be resized (we will not keep originals)
    Bandwidth restrictions will remain at 10GB/month for free users

Now’s the time to sign up for an account with Photobucket and upload all your photos and videos to share with family and friends!

And if that’s not enough great news, if you Tweet, post on Facebook or email your friends with the news, you could win an iPad 2! So what are you waiting for? Get your upload on with unlimited storage at Photobucket! Click here to learn more.

*Photobucket reserves the right to limit excessive use and the unlimited storage offer pertains to non-commercial use only.

Posted by Photobucket Staff on June 01, 2011 in Contests, Feature Updates, Photo & Video Uploading | Permalink | Comments (2)

Disclaimer : I'm not in any way related to Photobucket

10. I use photobucket for random stuff: ebay listings, etc.

Flickr is where I put all the photos I want to display. I remember it being free for up to 200 images, with the old ones being hidden but not deleted. Upgrading to a "Pro" account will unlock them if you reach this point. It's very easy to link images to forums such as this one, and it's very good for organising photos online. I actually use flickr more for the site itself as opposed to just simple hosting. In terms of presenting images there are a whole bunch of third party apps that allow you to present your images in a more fluid format than the standard flickr interface and can access all your "sets". Two such examples are

FlickeFlu

and

Flickriver

11. rainyseason

rainyseason Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2011
    Costa Rica
    Thanks everybody!

I went with photobucket.
    Thanks,
    Mark

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I like Shutterfly

13. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    I use 23hq.com. It's not really free.

It's nice but there are a few minor kinks to work out. The community is pretty small so far, nothing like flickr.

14. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
  15. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    minus is not bad10gb free.

16. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I have never liked the way photos look on picasa. I always blamed it on their compression algo, but I have no idea why they look so bad. I stick to flickr, 500px and facebook. I like flickr and 500px the most as the images look good there.