1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Site problems, database errors, etc

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Amin Sabet, May 8, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Longtime members are probably aware of the increase in site activity we've seen here at Mu-43.com. I take it as a sign of the success of both the Micro 4/3 system in general and the great community we've built here that our visits and pageviews are increasing week over week.

At times, we've strained our server resources and the site has gone down because of database errors. This has been infrequent and in most cases has lasted a few minutes or less, but it was particularly bad for about an hour late last night beginning around midnight EST. I'm working with our host to allocate more resources to the server, which should remedy the situation.

Server costs (and other site costs like our Android/iOS app) are high, and it is a great help if you can support the site by using our affiliate links when you buy photography gear (or anything else from Amazon). It doesn't cost you anything to use the links, and the revenue from our affiliates goes a long way towards covering our costs. All your help is very much appreciated.

Please let me know in this thread if you experience any further site downtime or database errors. I want to make sure this community has the server resources necessary for a frustration-free experience.

• Like Like x 12
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You can also just outright donate to the site! Then you get "site supporter" under your name, and a warm, mushy feeling inside ;)

But also use the affiliate links (no reason not to)!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    And don't forget you can pay more than once. ;)

When I saw this I remembered I have not dropped anything in the till for over a year.

Also you can use the affiliate links for more than camera purchases - I confess often forget this myself but any time you go to Amazon to buy anything use the affiliate link here first!

• Like Like x 2
  4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Click the link to Amazon, and when you land there, bookmark it as your standard Amazon link. That way, you can't forget :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So, ANYTHING I buy at Amazon could send money to mu-43?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Where is the donate link? Thanks!

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Oopst! I must be blind! Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi Amin, do you know if the affililiate link works for purchases made from Amazon Canada? It would make it a lot easier to help out seeing as most Amazon US items don't ship up north.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 1