1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Site downtime

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sorry for the site downtime tonight, all. Our hosting company had a major problem with the "cloud" SSD service, affecting all sites which use that technology. As our luck would have it, we "upgraded" to that product just a couple days ago. They are assuring us that this won't happen again, but I need to look at other options as well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. mgs

mgs Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Matthew
    Glad it's back! Thanks for the update.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's a hell of a long downtime and no backup service to take over?

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    If it goes down, it's just a server, not a cloud. Anyway, thanks for getting us back online.

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    thanks Amin, this is my favourite place

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gee mate. Did you feel a little lost for a bit then? :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin:

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Nah, it died before I went to work and then was still down when I got back. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Our server was using an SSD drive in RAID-1, but we were getting low on storage space a few days ago, and the only way to get a larger drive with our hosting company was to move to their "cloud" SSD (description here). So that's what I did.

Last night (or morning depending on where you are), the sites went down, and the explanation was this:

Anyway, I'm as frustrated as anyone. If the hosting company just gave the option of a larger SSD in RAID-1 or RAID-10, we could have swapped out a failed drive and been back in business. With this "cloud SSD", it's obviously not so simple. As an aside, the quotes above reference VPS products, but we are on a dedicated server and a powerful one at that.

• Like Like x 6
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Amin,

Consider putting user images on one storage system (even hard drives in RAID(5 or 6)), and the database in another, faster system (e.g. SSDs in RAID(1 or 5 or 6)).

Make sure everything is mirrored or backed up at least nightly to another system.

Barry

• Like Like x 2