Site downtime earlier today - database errors, etc

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sorry about the site problems today. I was trying to install a working, proper, useful search on our Buy and Sell board. This required a change the mysql minimum search length setting on the server so people would be able to search for short terms like "GX1", and that process was not straightforward.

I think everything is working properly now. If you're still seeing database problems, please try clearing your browser cache.

• Like Like x 5
  2. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Don't you have a test database?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm still unable to access the forum, and keep getting a Database Error whenever I try to access the site.

Oh wait... how did I type this post? Nevermind, it must be fixed... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks for making the smaller search possible. Just a few days ago, I was trying to do a 3 character search on B&S and it wasn't working. I appreciate the change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

• Like Like x 3
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I did not realize this change was something that could cause these kinds of problems or I would have done it on a test site. I thought it was a straightforward settings change.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I cleared the cache but still google ads insists on serving up this garbage. Is no one paying any attention to the Spork pages?
    forked.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    You almost got me to LOL, Jim

And yes; what he said.

9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Well, according to Murphy, these are exactly the situations, where something bad happens. Everybody who develops software or maintains a database makes this mistake repeatedly. So don't worry!