Site changes other than new style

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by barry13, Nov 4, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Not sure if this is on-topic as I'm still using the Dark theme, but the Google Search box disappeared for me recently (in Chrome iOS and FF Win), and the Nominate link keeps disappearing from the menu.

Thanks,
    Barry

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hope you don't mind my moving this to it's own thread. Those changes were unrelated to the new default site style.

The Google search box was slowing page load too much. The Nominate link was removed because there are too many links up there. I need to find a way to remove some more of those other links as well. I also have to find another way for members to nominate threads.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I just returned from a charity event and fired up the iPad. Now, in the upper right corner the search function and the message/ratings/posts/feedback block obscures the profile, messages, and, alerts links. I just opened up my iMac and that problem does not exist full screen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi David, I did some work on the style. Is this problem still present for you on the iPad?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    On my iPad Air, the upper right corner of your site is now nicely laid out. I am able to click on each icon/link easily. Nice job, thanks.

6. harryz

harryz Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Igor
    usually I open several threads in new tabs and read one by one. I have to scroll to the top of the page to see the thread's title and back to the new posts for each tab.
    what do you think about adding opened thread title to the top menu? or just under?

7. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

In the past hour or two several parts of the site have become difficult to use because of low text contrast. Rather than enumerate them, maybe you could switch to old style gray and just poke around.

Brian

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm seeing that in Old Dark also.

Barry

9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    ditto here. peach colored quoted text, image posting dialogue boxes weird...

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I must have broken something.

11. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Now it looks nice again.

Brian

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  12. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i stated this in the https://www.mu-43.com/threads/74311/, sorry for repeating.

but the reply input box seems to be broken for me (in Chrome).

If i want to post on a thread or reply to someone i don't see the input "box".

I then have to reply to someone's post, then edit (because i wrote nothing at that point) then the input box comes up. Mobile works fine. Also, some smileys are not showing up (regular smiley face with ":" and ")"). Not that big of a deal, i guess i should get rid of that nasty habit anyway...

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Please tell me if this is now fixed.

14. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    All good. Now for the dreaded smiley :)

Yup, works like a charm

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    @Ramsey@Ramsey - After all the server work we did, please tell me if that reply input box bug has popped up again. I think one of the changes I made to increase page speed could have that effect. Let me know!

16. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    On mobile now so can't tell, 4 hours ago the bug didn't occur.

17. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Nominate thread is locked... Intentional?

Barry

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sorry, that was a mistake. I thought I had found a better solution but hadn't.

19. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I've had an odd little problem that started about a day ago. For some reason, my old "bookmark" (actually a link on a personal start page) had been saved as " http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php ". This has worked for years and years. It began to fail with a 404 error sometime late Thursday or early Friday, US EST time. I've fixed my "bookmark" to omit the "forum.php" and it now works.

The issue is that other users with an old bookmark may think the site is down and just go away rather than experimenting. You should consider re-instating a "forum.php" file that does a simple redirect that thus catch those old bookmarks and send them to the correct entry point for the site. Alternatively or better yet additionally, an improved custom 404 page should created that provides a link to the sites primary entry page.

20. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet,

Hi, did something with the theme or page rendering change in the last 2 days? I'm now having to double-tap all links on the site when using Chrome on iOS 9.

Thanks,
    Barry