Site changes due to GDPR - a work in progress

umii

Mu-43 Regular
Yikes, that's not good. You can turn off all ads in preferences: https://www.mu-43.com/account/preferences

Subsequent to writing that the site should be showing non-personalized ads, I changed over to the use of something called Cookiebot, which is a service to prevent all personalized ad-related cookies unless you opt-in. Did you get a prompt about cookies, and did you opt in to personalized ads before seeing those ads?

If Cookiebot isn't working, then I will turn off all ads for everyone in the EU.
I opted in for personalised I think as I don’t mind adds for stuff I’m interested in and I know people have to make a living. It’s a bit pot luck, had a load the other day that were bad, now back to do you have enough for retirement nonsense instead, got some Gdpr ads as well ;). Let me check prefs

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Out of 941 people, so far only 3 have opted in for personalized ads. Ultimately I'm hoping that GDPR forces the entire ad industry to stop using cookies for ads. Then I can apply the same settings for all regions again.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Amin - just out of curiosity - is your site reimbursed differently for personalized vs non-personalized ads?
I think the personalized ads pay better, but that's not the main issue right now. I thought I could turn off personalized ads and that would make me compliant. But the way the GDPR is written, I'd need an opt in even to show non-personalized ads in the EU. That's because even the non-personalized ads use cookies in most cases. Meanwhile, hardly anyone ever opts in to anything. So this is less about the type of ad vs whether we can have ads or not.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When you say only 3 have opted in for personalized ads all I see is the below option, or am I missing something.
I must admit I do not really look at forum options that often.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Sorry for making everyone accept the Terms and Privacy Policy again.

There were no substantive changes since the last iteration, but the forum software changed how they record consent, and it was needed to comply with the GDPR.

I am trying to avoid mass emails, which are even more annoying IMO.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I am in the process of disabling all email notifications related to this site. That means that no one will get emails for PMs, watched threads, last week's popular topics, etc. Once those changes have been made, I'll update this thread with instructions about how to opt back in to those emails if you wish to do so.

Sorry for making everyone accept the Terms and Privacy Policy again.

There were no substantive changes since the last iteration, but the forum software changed how they record consent, and it was needed to comply with the GDPR.

I am trying to avoid mass emails, which are even more annoying IMO.
All very understandable. My wife works in the marketing department of a large firm here in Delaware. Her past few weeks have been a non-stop hustle to try and make tomorrow's compliance deadline. The real kicker is that if you don't make the deadline, then you have to terminate the contact with any said clients in the EU immediately and there is no returning to finish the job. So you can't tell yourself, "Well I got about 50% of the way through the client contact list, so I can just stop mailings to the other 50% on Friday and then slowly try to weed through them over the next month or two." Instead, once you cut the cord tomorrow, you can NEVER reach out to that client again unless they contact you first, immediately provide consent, and then allow you to continue the flow of communication. So basically it has to be completed or we could be terminating a possible source of future income.

But yes I completely agree with GDPR and think that it is a step in the right direction (finally). But you won't catch me saying that in front of my wife...at least not until after the week wraps up! Also, I know it has been said in the past, but truly thanks for what you do here in maintaining this little niche in the interwebs. Without mu-43 as a major source of information, I would never have taken the plunge off of full frame and into the 4/3 community!!!

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
the way the GDPR is written, I'd need an opt in even to show non-personalized ads in the EU
That's not the case. Even use of cookies isn't prevented.

Use of tracking mechanisms to track an individual user across multiple websites is where provision of ads gets messy, and although I appreciate that finding ad brokers that don't do this will be difficult, just showing adverts to people is not prevented by GDPR.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've noticed that you've started hosting your own GDPR compliant adverts. I noticed immediately: they're getting through my multiple ad blockers.

If they continue to behave then I wont add them ;) Blocking ads is essential for safe browsing, as they represent a major malware threat vector. If you're only serving images that you've vetted then that helps.

The mpb.com ad may get blocked anyway, as animated gifs don't work well with my Aspergers.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom