Site changes due to GDPR - a work in progress

Amin Sabet

Administrator
As some of you may be aware, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 becomes enforceable on 25 May 2018. GDPR is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy which aims to give all EU citizens and residents control over their personal data.

I am doing everything I can do to comply with GDPR. Unfortunately, I am just one person who owns and operates these sites as a hobby, and the GDPR is incredibly complicated and difficult to understand.

In some cases, this will mean a loss of site functionality. For example, I don't know of a way to make our push notifications via OneSignal compliant with the GDPR, and I don't have time to figure it out, so those push notifications will probably be removed from the site altogether.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with any site changes required due to GDPR.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Dumb question, but do European laws apply to an American site owner? Can they enforce it?
From my understanding the answer is "yes". At least I assume so since Google, Facebook, etc. are planning to be in compliance with these regulations and I'm sure they've had some bright, well compensated legal minds look over the jurisdiction/ sovereignty questions.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
From my understanding the answer is "yes". At least I assume so since Google, Facebook, etc. are planning to be in compliance with these regulations and I'm sure they've had some bright, well compensated legal minds look over the jurisdiction/ sovereignty questions.
They have offices and operations in EU, though.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
The GDPR is definitely written to include any US based websites with EU visitors. Whether the US would cooperate with the EU and, for example, extradite someone like me is a different matter. But I'd sure not like to be "wanted" in the EU.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
They have offices and operations in EU, though.
Yeah, I guess that distinction may make a difference.

The GDPR is definitely written to include any US based websites with EU visitors. Whether the US would cooperate with the EU and, for example, extradite someone like me is a different matter. But I'd sure not like to be "wanted" in the EU.
This is probably the right answer. I doubt Amin would be targeted by EU officials, but it's really a matter of "better safe than sorry". Particularly since he feels (and I happen to agree) that the restrictions being imposed are reasonable and prudent.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Facebook and Twitter integration have been removed. That means that they cannot be used for login anymore. If you need help accessing your account, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

WT21

Super Moderator
Facebook and Twitter integration have been removed. That means that they cannot be used for login anymore. If you need help accessing your account, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.
Lucky I quite Facebook a few years ago, and Twitter about 3 months ago!

There should be a revenue/size cutoff for regulations, IMO. When you have such strong regulations, it gets harder and harder to maintain a small business, leaving only the biggest guys to split the pie 2 or 3 ways. Ugh.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
There should be a revenue/size cutoff for regulations, IMO
If not a cutoff, then they should make the penalties a straight % of global profits. The GDPR says that the fine is up to 4% of global profits or 20 million euros, whichever is greater. So if Facebook or Google is non-compliant, they could be fined up to 4% of global profits (that would sting), whereas I could be fined 20M euros (would bankrupt me many times over).

If my max penalty were 4% of global profits, that would be peanuts, and I would have nothing to worry about. I'd still do my best to comply, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This may be completely unrelated or maybe not. Just now, for the first time, I am getting this notification on it's own page when I click on an image posted by members that connects to their flickr account...

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page
Details

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom