Site changes coming

P Hopper

Mu-43 Regular
I’m sure Santa is gonna be very good to you! Thanks for everything and best wishes to all!

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Dear all,

You may have noticed that I've been away for quite a while. I've been staying on top of the server, backups, security patches, etc, but that's all the time I could devote to the site in recent months.

Over the next couple weeks, I have slightly more time, and I'd like to upgrade the site from Xenforo 2.1.x to Xenforo 2.2.x. Unfortunately, that version will be incompatible with most of the addons I've used to upgrade site functionality. Things like EXIF display, attachment manager, ignore forums, buy & sell forms, feedback display, double click to mark read, lazy image loader, live content update, alerts fixes, post reactions, weekly digest... Nearly all of those will be broken and require fixing.

Some things may take longer than others to fix. And some feature may never come back if they are too time consuming or too expensive to fix. I'll do my best. There is some nice functionality in XF 2.2 that I think everyone will like. Hopefully this will all be worth it.

Best wishes to everyone for the holidays!

-Amin
If the update is going change many of the popular features of the site don't you think some kind of a user survey is in order?

Last edited:

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
We appreciate all the time and effort that you put in to the site! I find it one of the better ones on the Internet not just the ones pertaining to photography but all the forums I am a member. Thanks Amin
Good point, he mentioned all that would be lost but nothing of what this so called update brings to the table.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I have no idea if the upgrade has been done, but one change that has happened lately needs mentioning!
When uploading a picture you have a button to insert it into the message, this button now has 2 parts, the left most uploads a thumbnail picture and the right most part uploads the full picture as usual.
I would have liked to see a real separation of the 2 buttons, as it is now they appear as one button without any separation.

So be aware when you upload where you click to insert.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
I have no idea if the upgrade has been done, but one change that has happened lately needs mentioning!
When uploading a picture you have a button to insert it into the message, this button now has 2 parts, the left most uploads a thumbnail picture and the right most part uploads the full picture as usual.
I would have liked to see a real separation of the 2 buttons, as it is now they appear as one button without any separation.

So be aware when you upload where you click to insert.
Since I normally drag-n-drop images into the edit window, I haven't come across this. But I'm glad you figured it out so I'll never have to.

barry

Super Moderator
If the update is going change many of the popular features of the site don't you think some kind of a user survey is in order?
Hi, software must be regularly updated to keep up with security patches and improvements.
Sites that don't practice this often get hacked, and user information stolen.

A conscientious admin has no choice.
"The price of security is eternal vigilance."

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Over the next couple weeks, I have slightly more time, and I'd like to upgrade the site from Xenforo 2.1.x to Xenforo 2.2.x. Unfortunately, that version will be incompatible with most of the addons I've used to upgrade site functionality. Things like EXIF display, attachment manager, ignore forums, buy & sell forms, feedback display, double click to mark read, lazy image loader, live content update, alerts fixes, post reactions, weekly digest... Nearly all of those will be broken and require fixing.

Some things may take longer than others to fix. And some feature may never come back if they are too time consuming or too expensive to fix. I'll do my best. There is some nice functionality in XF 2.2 that I think everyone will like. Hopefully this will all be worth it.
Thanks, Amin, for all your efforts.

I noticed today that the subscribers-only "images" tab on my profile page is MIA. Since it wasn't in your short list, I'm wondering if it is a temporary casualty of the upgrade process . . . or has something else caused its disappearance?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I don't know if this is due to an update, but lately (a day or so) the alerts are not automatically updated, so I have to refresh the side to see new updates.
I have not made any changes in my browser, so I figure it is due to an update.
I mean that little red circle with the number of alerts that you see on the "Bell".

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I don't know if this is due to an update, but lately (a day or so) the alerts are not automatically updated, so I have to refresh the side to see new updates.
I have not made any changes in my browser, so I figure it is due to an update.
I mean that little red circle with the number of alerts that you see on the "Bell".

The alerts I was receiving before Friday have stopped updating, but the system seems to be working based on threads which I've contributed to since then.

File under 'first world problem'.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Oh, I still get the alerts under the bell, but the red circle doesn't appear automatically, I have to refresh the page.

But as you said a 'first world problem'.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
All the kind words for Amin are warranted.

But also, if you aren’t a subscriber, consider subscribing so that Amin can keep the lights on.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Has the ‘gallery‘ disappeared or has it moved? The thing for subscribing members to see the pictures they’ve posted before? I can’t seem to locate it, and my memory stinks...without it I’ll be posting duplicates for sure!

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I cannot access my albums of uploaded images. Just not available at all.

I am also only getting 'bell' notifications for about half the threads I am subscribed to.

This has been happening for some weeks.

Maybe the site database needs a rebuild or maintenance?

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Hi Amin, I'm not sure if the site upgrade is complete? Showing the OP in a thread is one feature that I miss. I've been very patient :) but am wondering if this feature will make a comeback?

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
All: I have been so busy with new job, family stuff. Haven't gotten to this yet other than trying to find updated versions of plugins.

Today I am going to do the actual main update, and you will notice a lot of stuff missing. Just wanted to make you aware that this is intentional. I will restore functionality when possible.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Not sure if this falls under the plug-ins, but I have one change that is buggy me. Small thing, but like our cameras, it can often be a minor change like moving a button that influences our entire experience.

In my case it is the notifications where you get the little red bubble number next to the bell. Previously you could click on it, then click show all which opened the pull down to a full page list. What is missing now is that it used to be how ever many new ones there were showed up highlighted differently so you could easily see in the list where the oldest unseen one ends and the previously seen ones start. Now there is no distinction so if you auto-pilot open the notifications without noting the little red new count bubble first you have no indication of how far down the list are new ones.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Not sure if this falls under the plug-ins, but I have one change that is buggy me. Small thing, but like our cameras, it can often be a minor change like moving a button that influences our entire experience.

In my case it is the notifications where you get the little red bubble number next to the bell. Previously you could click on it, then click show all which opened the pull down to a full page list. What is missing now is that it used to be how ever many new ones there were showed up highlighted differently so you could easily see in the list where the oldest unseen one ends and the previously seen ones start. Now there is no distinction so if you auto-pilot open the notifications without noting the little red new count bubble first you have no indication of how far down the list are new ones.
There is a difference on a laptop, but it is very very minor. I have to check and recheck.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
What seems to have changed in the alerts menu is that unread posts are marked with a darker colour and read posts are the lighter background colour.
This is the opposite from earlier. I was a bit confused at first.

I'm using the Light w/ Smaller Text setting.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks to both of you. Looking just now again it does seem to be opposite as it was before where now darker are newer. The other change, which is kind of nice is that while the red bubble showed my 5 new alerts, in the full screen only the three new replies showed with the dark shading, while the two new reaction were not highlighted. So a little confusing at first where you look at the list and it almost looks like it randomly highlights only some, but now that I see how it works, I am satisfied with it. Cheers!

Latest threads

Top Bottom