Site changes coming

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Dear all,

You may have noticed that I've been away for quite a while. I've been staying on top of the server, backups, security patches, etc, but that's all the time I could devote to the site in recent months.

Over the next couple weeks, I have slightly more time, and I'd like to upgrade the site from Xenforo 2.1.x to Xenforo 2.2.x. Unfortunately, that version will be incompatible with most of the addons I've used to upgrade site functionality. Things like EXIF display, attachment manager, ignore forums, buy & sell forms, feedback display, double click to mark read, lazy image loader, live content update, alerts fixes, post reactions, weekly digest... Nearly all of those will be broken and require fixing.

Some things may take longer than others to fix. And some feature may never come back if they are too time consuming or too expensive to fix. I'll do my best. There is some nice functionality in XF 2.2 that I think everyone will like. Hopefully this will all be worth it.

Best wishes to everyone for the holidays!

-Amin
If the update is going change many of the popular features of the site don't you think some kind of a user survey is in order?

Last edited:

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
We appreciate all the time and effort that you put in to the site! I find it one of the better ones on the Internet not just the ones pertaining to photography but all the forums I am a member. Thanks Amin
Good point, he mentioned all that would be lost but nothing of what this so called update brings to the table.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I have no idea if the upgrade has been done, but one change that has happened lately needs mentioning!
When uploading a picture you have a button to insert it into the message, this button now has 2 parts, the left most uploads a thumbnail picture and the right most part uploads the full picture as usual.
I would have liked to see a real separation of the 2 buttons, as it is now they appear as one button without any separation.

So be aware when you upload where you click to insert.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
I have no idea if the upgrade has been done, but one change that has happened lately needs mentioning!
When uploading a picture you have a button to insert it into the message, this button now has 2 parts, the left most uploads a thumbnail picture and the right most part uploads the full picture as usual.
I would have liked to see a real separation of the 2 buttons, as it is now they appear as one button without any separation.

So be aware when you upload where you click to insert.
Since I normally drag-n-drop images into the edit window, I haven't come across this. But I'm glad you figured it out so I'll never have to.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
If the update is going change many of the popular features of the site don't you think some kind of a user survey is in order?
Hi, software must be regularly updated to keep up with security patches and improvements.
Sites that don't practice this often get hacked, and user information stolen.

A conscientious admin has no choice.
"The price of security is eternal vigilance."

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Over the next couple weeks, I have slightly more time, and I'd like to upgrade the site from Xenforo 2.1.x to Xenforo 2.2.x. Unfortunately, that version will be incompatible with most of the addons I've used to upgrade site functionality. Things like EXIF display, attachment manager, ignore forums, buy & sell forms, feedback display, double click to mark read, lazy image loader, live content update, alerts fixes, post reactions, weekly digest... Nearly all of those will be broken and require fixing.

Some things may take longer than others to fix. And some feature may never come back if they are too time consuming or too expensive to fix. I'll do my best. There is some nice functionality in XF 2.2 that I think everyone will like. Hopefully this will all be worth it.
Thanks, Amin, for all your efforts.

I noticed today that the subscribers-only "images" tab on my profile page is MIA. Since it wasn't in your short list, I'm wondering if it is a temporary casualty of the upgrade process . . . or has something else caused its disappearance?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I don't know if this is due to an update, but lately (a day or so) the alerts are not automatically updated, so I have to refresh the side to see new updates.
I have not made any changes in my browser, so I figure it is due to an update.
I mean that little red circle with the number of alerts that you see on the "Bell".

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I don't know if this is due to an update, but lately (a day or so) the alerts are not automatically updated, so I have to refresh the side to see new updates.
I have not made any changes in my browser, so I figure it is due to an update.
I mean that little red circle with the number of alerts that you see on the "Bell".
The alerts I was receiving before Friday have stopped updating, but the system seems to be working based on threads which I've contributed to since then.

File under 'first world problem'.

Real Name
John ...
I cannot access my albums of uploaded images. Just not available at all.

I am also only getting 'bell' notifications for about half the threads I am subscribed to.

This has been happening for some weeks.

Maybe the site database needs a rebuild or maintenance?

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
Hi Amin, I'm not sure if the site upgrade is complete? Showing the OP in a thread is one feature that I miss. I've been very patient :) but am wondering if this feature will make a comeback?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom