Sirui W-2204

Matt_Hirst

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Matthew Hirst
Just been looking at good old evil-bay and seen this crop up, does anybody have any experience of using one?

I like the idea of an all in one solution, tripod and monopod but is it overkill for a m43 camera?

Matt

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
Probably. 39.7lb/18kg max load. Weighs 3.7lb/1.7kg. That's just legs/center column without a head.

Do you need the waterproof aspect the W series offers?

Any reason the W-2204 stood out vs the W-1204?

If you want an AIO solution, have a look at the N-X series.

Personally I keep monopod and tripod separate as I prefer different heads for each purpose. I have a Benro IH0 simple single-lever ball head on my Sirui monopod for quick open / lock action and have a more featured ballhead on my tripod.

Last edited:

Matt_Hirst

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Matthew Hirst
I just wanted the all in one as I figured I'd only use one or the other so set up before going out, plus it'd all stay together as one piece less clutter.

The W-2204 was just for the max height, as said I know very little about these things so just started looking at whats out there.

So what tripod do you use, also head?

Matt

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
My travel/portable is a Gitzo GK1545T-82TQD which came as a combination of legs plus ball head. I've been quite happy with it; I was able to get it at a discount which helped me self-justify the pricetag. For "won't move in a tornado" and "need a weird centerpost angle" needs, I still have my old Gitzo 2220 legs with a Manfrotto 488 ball head on which I swapped the old QR plate to an Arca-swiss compatible one.

If I hadn't bought the Gitzo I'd likely have gone with a MeFoto Roadtrip or Globetrotter in CF, or comparable Sirui T-X series.

Max height is an important thing to consider. My eye-height is about 64", so factoring in camera height, I'm generally good with anything 60" or so. Better to go lower without the center column extended and use the LCD screen instead of viewfinder if the situation allows.

Vheissu

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
I just received a W-1204 + K-10X from ebay today and am pleased with it so far. Seems more than up to task of supporting my E-M1 and Pro glass. I'm 1.8m tall and only need to extend the centre column a few cm to get the camera at eye level; at max extension I would need a step stool to look through the viewfinder. I deliberated over the W-2204 and the T-1204XL/2204XL for a while before ordering.

Reasons for not going with one of the T-X series tripods:
- These came bundled with ballheads that didn't have a tension adjust dial so I would have had to order one separately for the same total cost as the W-1204 kit
- Fine sand just destroyed my old manfrotto tripod so the lack of weathersealing on the T-Xs seemed risky.

Reasons for not going with the W-2204:
- Weight
- I figure if I ever decide that I need a taller/more stable tripod I will look at the R-X series, Sirui's version of the Gitzo Systematic tripods.

Latest threads

Top Bottom