Sipsey Wilderness Area

Discussion in 'Nature' started by bluebubbleboy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Took a backpacking trip with a couple of friends in the Sipsey Wilderness in north Alabama this weekend. It was a great trip with lots of beautiful scenery. Only bad part was that the trails are not marked and we got way off track. Had to put the camera away so we could make up some ground to get back before we ran out of food and had to stay another night. :redface:

Below are a few of the photos I took. All shot with the GH1, 20mm 1.7, and Oly 14-42 mk II.

P1140001.

2. I've been trying hammock camping. Much lighter than carrying a tent around. I like it!
    P1140007.

3. Not a great quality photo here, but here's an example of some of the bluffs and caves in the area.
    P1140012.

P1140027.

P1140031.

P1140032.

P1140033.

P1140071.

P1140072.

P1140074.

• Like Like x 8
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Nice series! Especially like #7. As a backpacker, I appreciate the sleeping arrangements in #1!

3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Nice pics. Never heard of this area and enjoyed getting to see a bit of it.

Gotta be careful getting very far off the trail in any park or woods these days. Never know who and what one might run into out there.

4. bluebubbleboy

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks Tom. You know what else is nice when backpacking is taking a m4/3 camera and two super light weight lenses! One of my buddies that went with me shoots a 40D and he decided he would just bum pictures off me because he didn't want the bulky weight of his Canon gear.

5. bluebubbleboy

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks for the comments. The only dangerous thing we ran into was a copperhead. Although we found that one on the trail. Fortunately it was cool enough outside that she wasn't too energetic.

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It's the two legged varmits ya gotta watch out for. :biggrin:

7. vidiot72

vidiot72 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 11, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I really like #7 alot, being up in North Alabama, have you ever been to Dismals Canyon? I have some amazing shots from there, unfortunately it was before I got my M4-3 so I can't post them here.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    BlueBubbleBoy,

Which trails where you hiking? I'm from Huntsville Alabama and I have hiked down there several times in the Sipsey/Bank Head Forrest Area.

Very Nice pictures. It was a good weekend to be hiking.

9. bluebubbleboy

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    I had never heard of Dismals Canyon, but I just looked it up and I think a visit is definitely in order. Thanks for the recommendation!

It was a good weekend to be hiking. We started on the Bordon Creek trail, then connected to the Sipsey River trail. From there we were supposed to get on the Bee Branch West trail, but somehow missed it and ended up on a trail that wasn't even on the map. We're probably going to go back next month. One of my friends had a GPS and recorded a bunch of way points, so hopefully we'll do a little better next time. :rolleyes: Beautiful area though.

One of my other favorite spots to backpack is Stone Door in Tennessee. Don't know if you've been there, but that's definitely worth a visit. It's close to Altamont, TN.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very Good.

11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Nice set. Very enjoyable.

I like the sleeping setup too... However, how in the world do you manage to sleep in such a saggy position?

Alan

12. bluebubbleboy

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Thank you Alan. As for the sleeping, some people really love the way hammocks sleep. For me it is an adjustment. However, I don't sleep good lying on the ground either, so I figure I might as well carry less weight if I'm going to sleep poorly either way. :tongue: