1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sipsey Wilderness, Alabama

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Djarum, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As most of you guys know, lots of my photos are from my day hikes. My better half and I went down to the Sipsey Wilderness area in North West Alabama. Lots of waterfalls with lots of trails covering miles and miles of Alabama. All the images were taken with the collasable kit lens and the Oly E-PL2.

The goal for this hike was to find two waterfalls on Turkey Foot Creek. This trail is unmarked on any of the maps, and I found it difficult to find a whole lot about this hike, other than a few pictures we saw.

This is a blended 3 shot exposure image. Not trying to do HDR, but the lighting was harsh and I still couldn't get rid of all the blown out highlights.

P3118070blends.JPG

Farther down the trail we ran into what looks to be an old Ford body. It's easy to see the creek in the background.

P3118079s.JPG

Shortly after running into this, the trail ended up stopping on a shear bluff. At this point, I wasn't sure what to do so we went back. Later on, after an hour or two research, I found out that we were supposed to cross the creek to a trail on the other side of the creek.

At any rate, we went back to the parking area and took a trail that follows the Sipsey river south from a picnic area. we found a few waterfalls along the way.

P3118106s.JPG

P3118112s.JPG

P3118154s.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  2. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Nice photos, I really like the 3rd image with the bridge. Sipsey is a great place to hike. I've taken a couple of backpacking trips there in the last few months. In a few more weeks we are heading to Walls of Jericho, and I'll have my camera with me. :smile:

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I haven't done the walls of jericho, but to my understading, it is a difficult hike, especially on the way back. I hope you have fun and be safe.

4. dave37

dave37 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I absolutely love the Sipsey Wilderness.... No marked trails. Have made several 2-4 day trips there since my first trip around 1978. I have hundreds of transparencies in my stash.
    I have also canoed on the Sipsey River.

I see you came to Noccalula Falls.... I live nearby. Did you try the walk in the gorge and under the falls?

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    That is only open during the certain months. The gate to the path was closed when we went. I do plan on going back down to Gadsden to see them.

I live up here in Huntsville, AL.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You got some good stuff ... I enjoyed your experience.

G