1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Single lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 31, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    After a long hiatus I picked up an Olympus E-M10. It'll arrive in Tuesday. I have been adapted lens shooter for years (NEX 5n) and I have no intention of shooting adapted lenses on the Olympus. I realize it has IBIS and I'm sure there are tons of reasons that adapted lenses would be awesome on the E-M10 but I like using the NEX for that and I have no intention of changing.

I bought the E-M10 because I want to have a nice small AF package for traveling and walking around. I played with a friends E-M5, liked it a lot and thought that it would be fun. I have no expectation for the camera other than it work and nothing falls off of it (like a few of my friends E-M5's). I know this will sound like sacrilege but I plan to mount one lens on it and use it like I would a Fuji X100. I was thinking the P20/1.7 v1. I had that lens and thought it was terrific. I love the 40mm EFL, it can focus reasonably close, is compact and can also be found pretty cheaply used. I have however heard that it can have banding issues with the E-M10.

These days there are a lot more lens options available since I last used an m43 body and I know very little about them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The banding happens only at high ISO (3200 and higher I think). I've used the P20 with an E-M5 and didn't have issues.

Other options for you include:

- Oly 17/1.8 - faster focus, manual focus clutch, a bit wider FOV, a bit bigger. Not quite as sharp, but a pretty good lens overall.
    - Panasonic 15/1.7 - faster focus, notably wider FOV, a bit bigger. Probably at least as sharp as the 20. Another very nice lens.
    - Oly 25/1.8 - fast focus, narrower FOV, a bit bigger. Super sharp
    - Panasonic 25/1.4 - fast focus, fast aperture, a lot bigger. Super sharp, but tends to have lots of CA (totally correctable of course)
    - Panasonic 14/2.5 - notably wider, slightly smaller. Not quite as sharp, but some people like them.

That's about it if AF lenses are what you want - unless you go for the Oly 17/2.8 - but that's judged to be a poor performer. If MF is OK, there's also the Voigtlander 17/0.95 - a stellar lens, but big, heavy and MF only.

On balance, I'd just go with the P20 - it's a very nice lens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have both the P20 and O17/1.8 and generally I prefer the O17/1.8.

They are both great lenses, but the O17/1.8 is just that much more responsive which is a real win IMO.

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had the P14 and the PL25 and liked them both. The P14 I found pretty useful, the PL25 was nice and sharp but not much better than the 20 and more expensive. The O17/1.8 is interesting but sample shots haven't been all that impressive compared to the P20. It's kinda funny that the lens I get for this new camera is the same one i used on my E-P1.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I can appreciate that but I'm not so worried about responsiveness. I played with a P20 on an E-M5 and it was plenty fast for my needs. Also, the 17 might be a bit wide for me. Does it close focus well?

6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The 20mm is a very good choice, especially if you can get it used at a reasonable price (significantly less then $200, I'm told); I've seen used Mk IIs around for around $200, so this might actually be a viable alternative. It's true that the 17mm f/1.8 is a tad weaker than the 20mm optically, but honestly, in most cases, you won't notice any difference unless you do some serious pixel peeping. I see the point about the 20mm, however - small, capable, very compelling IQ, just a little slow to focus; it's hard not to appreciate this lens (which is why I still keep it). I do use the 17mm more often because of its responsiveness and nicer handling, though. Remember: In contrast to the E-P1, the E-M10 is a very fast camera in use - so much so that the slight operational lag the 20mm may introduce sometimes can be irritating.

EDIT: Just saw your post - yes, the 17mm is a lot more like the 12mm; it's even got the better implementation of the focus clutch (not stepping ...).

M.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Which is why I went with the Oly 17mm. So many reports that the Panny was simply a slug when autofocusing compared to the Oly. If dixeyk's intention is to use this set up as sort of a street shooter where many shots may be fleeting, the more responsive AF of the Oly might be the better choice, even if a tad wider than the 20mm.

EDIT: just noticed dixeyk responded about responsiveness while I was typing, so scratch the above thought.

8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    :D We're a bit on the fast track, ain't we?

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, i did edit that last comment (sorry about that). Does the 17/1.8 have an aperture ring our am I seeing that wrong? The would be interesting

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, the intention os to set up the E-M10 with a single lens ad call it good. I don't actually do much street. Most of the things i shoot aren't moving particularly fast. I make images of things and like to get pretty close so close focusing is more important than AF speed for me. That said, I do appreciate good AF. When i shot Fuji I had the XF35/1.4 which is a spectacular lens but it was so frustrating when it would hunt to lock focus on something like a flower that i switched losing MF only.

11. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Manual focus pull back ring, with stops. Much like the 12/2.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    hmmm that could be nice. I'll have to look into that more

13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I wasn't happy enough with the performance of the P20mm on my EM10. If your subjects are usually static it's fine but honestly it was difficult to use in lower light with moving targets.

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Good to know. I do mostly static images but that doesn't mean I will never want to get images of moving objects.

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't forget the Sigma 19mm f/2.8. Maybe the 12-32 or 14-42 EZ.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Good suggestions, I don't want a zoom but the Sigma 19 is a possibility. Thanks.

17. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi dixeyk
    I know you say you don't want a zoom but bearing in mind that you only want one lens - I will throw this one in anyway - as you would not probably be aware of this one having been away for a bit
    The Panasonic 14-42mm Mk2 is very highly rated on this forum and there is a thread running with some very impressive results
    It is favourably compared to the original 14 - 45mm zoom which you will remember both by users here and by reviewers
    A very sharp contrasty lens which would give you a little more flexibility without an appreciable size penalty vs the Oly 17mm
    It is also extremely compact and does not extend very much (it is about the same size as the Olympus 14 - 42mm R lens when compressed ie very small
    The EM10 will still use its own IBIS on this lens unless you choose to prioritise O.I.S in the menu
    Worth considering perhaps ? Take a look ?
    Showcase - Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  18. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Choose a focal length you like, that should be priority #1 by far. All the native m43 lenses are pretty good performers. I split most of my time between the PL 25mm 1.4 and the P 14mm 2.5, either of which could be candidates, or you could go for the middle ground in terms of focal length at around 17-20mm.

19. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

+1. For an "inexpensive" lens, that Sigma is a great little package. I had it for my NEX and loved it. Sold it along with the camera when I switched to Oly but have missed it ever since.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I appreciate the suggestion and I agree the Panasonic zoom is nice, I had a 14-45 way back when and it was nice and before that when I shot with the original four-thirds cameras (E-500 and E-510) my favorite lens was the 14-54. I like zooms but I don't want it for this situation. The E-M10 is really going to be a single focal length walk around kit. Think Fuji X100 but wth faster AF and a flip screen.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015